Poll: Alk Monitoring

Alk Monitoring System - Which are you using or considering?

• KH Guardian

Votes: 20 2.7%
  • KH Director

Votes: 41 5.5%
  • Trident

Votes: 191 25.5%
  • Alkatronic

Votes: 38 5.1%
  • MIndstream

Votes: 11 1.5%
  • Reefbot

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • Pacific Sun

Votes: 6 0.8%
  • Other or I don't use an Alk monitoring system

Votes: 434 57.9%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in early September of last year, we did a poll discussing the various Alk monitoring options. It looked at which one you were using or considering. I though it might be interesting to see where we stand today on the topic.

So, which are you using or considering to use today?

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was waiting for the Trident and considered the Alkatronic and KH Guardian. However, the GHL KH Director is looking more interesting now that they are testing and looking to release Ca monitoring in addition to Alk.

It seems a number of these devices are being marketed and teased a little, when the actual capabilities are not yet set. Neptune recently suggested that the first version of the Trident might not have control capabilities (monitor only) and let's not get started with the Mindstream...

I'm probably going to wait until we have the Trident available so I can make a proper comparison, unless the release is pushed back, in which case a switch to GHL seems a good move.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am waiting for the dust to settle on all this tech, of course trident will be attractive due to integration, lets hope they nail it.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was waiting for the Trident and considered the Alkatronic and KH Guardian. However, the GHL KH Director is looking more interesting now that they are testing and looking to release Ca monitoring in addition to Alk.

It seems a number of these devices are being marketed and teased a little, when the actual capabilities are not yet set. Neptune recently suggested that the first version of the Trident might not have control capabilities (monitor only) and let's not get started with the Mindstream...

I'm probably going to wait until we have the Trident available so I can make a proper comparison, unless the release is pushed back, in which case a switch to GHL seems a good move.

They didn't suggest it, they outright said that (at least at launch) Trident/APEX will not be programmed to monitor and dose. However, it really seemed like it would be easy to program the APEX yourself to take care of everything. I'm anxious to see how the Seneye monitor does, although I don't think I've seen anything new on it for some time.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They didn't suggest it, they outright said that (at least at launch) Trident/APEX will not be programmed to monitor and dose. However, it really seemed like it would be easy to program the APEX yourself to take care of everything. I'm anxious to see how the Seneye monitor does, although I don't think I've seen anything new on it for some time.

Dosing is always going to be via the Apex and DOS units. Since they will be launching into a market that has several mature Alk monitoring and dosing systems (and potentially now ones that also do the same with Ca), I hope they make this part of the release, otherwise it weakens the proposition to the point of abandoning the platform.

I gave up with SenEye, they were talking about kH monitoring 4+ years ago. I have a full SenEye Reef in my drawer... Been used once I think lol.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alkatronic. I love it. Once you can almost continuously monitor your Alk, you'll never go back to occasional testing. And it frees you up to do other things -- not tank related! These days, I spend more time feeding my fish than I do any other tank related task and without the worry that my alk is drifting for any number of reasons. I can't compare it to the other auto testers out there, but the team at Focustronic have gone above and beyond the level of service I could have expected. Highly recommended if its in your reefing budget.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkatronic. I love it. Once you can almost continuously monitor your Alk, you'll never go back to occasional testing. And it frees you up to do other things -- not tank related! These days, I spend more time feeding my fish than I do any other tank related task and without the worry that my alk is drifting for any number of reasons. I can't compare it to the other auto testers out there, but the team at Focustronic have gone above and beyond the level of service I could have expected. Highly recommended if its in your reefing budget.

I would still do periodic manual KH testing. The probes will go out of calibration and you may find KH drift.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back