Poll: Alk Monitoring

Alk Monitoring System - Which are you using or considering?

• KH Guardian

Votes: 20 2.7%
  • KH Director

Votes: 41 5.5%
  • Trident

Votes: 191 25.5%
  • Alkatronic

Votes: 38 5.1%
  • MIndstream

Votes: 11 1.5%
  • Reefbot

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • Pacific Sun

Votes: 6 0.8%
  • Other or I don't use an Alk monitoring system

Votes: 434 57.9%

• Total voters

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in early September of last year, we did a poll discussing the various Alk monitoring options. It looked at which one you were using or considering. I though it might be interesting to see where we stand today on the topic.

So, which are you using or considering to use today?
How about adding the Seneye Coral to that list.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would still do periodic manual KH testing. The probes will go out of calibration and you may find KH drift.
I did daily Salifert tests for the first couple of weeks and found the Alkatronic to be very accurate. I only test now to confirm the Alkatronic when it reports an anomalous test, which has happened a few times, each time there was something amiss with my CaRx. So far, the Alkatronic has not been wrong.

The owners manual says the pH probe is supposed to last 2+ years and needs recalibration only every 6 months. If that proves true, I'll be happy. In the meantime, I'll continue to trust but occasionally verify.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Staying with the Hanna alk checker over here.

If things can go wrong, then they will go wrong.

If you bought the Trident and let it control the DOS pumps with Apex Fusion.
When it got off, then your reef, would be... :eek: :eek: :eek:

:)

BlakeW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a kh guardian sitting on the shelf for my build I’m trying to wrap up. Ill most likely be adding on a trident once they are out and the bugs are worked out of them.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I am heavily invested in apex, if I get one it would be trident. I use a large CaRx for my system that keeps Alk rock solid to the point that I test only weekly. Do I need to automate that task LOL. BTW, I think it is a really bad idea to dose stuff based on probes or automated tests. I'll just be using it to monitor and send alerts.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I am heavily invested in apex, if I get one it would be trident. I use a large CaRx for my system that keeps Alk rock solid to the point that I test only weekly. Do I need to automate that task LOL. BTW, I think it is a really bad idea to dose stuff based on probes or automated tests. I'll just be using it to monitor and send alerts.

I disagree with correct safeguards in place (ie max deviation, alarms and a stop command).

I've seen some amazing tanks running the KH Guardian, automatically controlling KH. (a few where it's 100% controlling Alkalinity via dosing, and others where it's used as a top up to a Calcium reactor to smooth out any drops.

As with all things, you need to look after your kit and I would personally be checking the accuracy weekly, then bi-weekly to make sure.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Staying with the Hanna alk checker over here.

If things can go wrong, then they will go wrong.

If you bought the Trident and let it control the DOS pumps with Apex Fusion.
When it got off, then your reef, would be... :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think this is a huge step to enable less experienced and very active hobbyist to enjoy SPS corals without reactors and a chem degree. Yes drift and calibrations will be necessary but its the spikes and drops that kill me. This should at least smooth them out, or at least I hope. I wonder what the next 5 years will bring?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a huge step to enable less experienced and very active hobbyist to enjoy SPS corals without reactors and a chem degree. Yes drift and calibrations will be necessary but its the spikes and drops that kill me. This should at least smooth them out, or at least I hope. I wonder what the next 5 years will bring?
siggy,
Thanks for your input and respect all other post on this thread too.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
siggy,
Thanks for your input and respect all other post on this thread too.
Sincere Apologies if I offended anyone.... I sometimes do that without realizing..... What I meant was new tech will enable more entry & mid level (ME) hobbyist to be more successful in areas that they normally struggle(SPS)

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is entitled to an opinion ....

LOL, no drama either way.

To me, it's no different to running a calcium reactor, Kalkwasser or dosing alk solution. Except that with all of those solutions, you are blindly dosing the same amount, regardless of demand or actual dKH within the aquarium.

Obviously common sense safeguards would be needed (the same as you have with temperature control) so that the output from the sensor is only varying the dose from the baseline by a specific amount and alerts you when breached.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, no drama either way.

That's right, we all have different philosophies and approaches to running our tanks - formed by individual experience. I simply do not like or trust technology to make automated 'additions' to my tank. I've just seen too many things go wrong, even with something like apex. So, beyond heating and ATO, it's all monitoring and alerting chez moi.

To me, it's no different to running a calcium reactor, Kalkwasser or dosing alk solution.

I'd put the CaRx in a somewhat different class - for a number of reasons probably best articulated in a separate thread

Except that with all of those solutions, you are blindly dosing the same amount, regardless of demand or actual dKH within the aquarium.

Not really. One is still testing, just not presumably as frequently. My own personal experience with the CaRx, for example, is that it is close to set-it-and-forget it, and inherently highly stable, so I'd not characterize it as 'blindly dosing'. By that logic, water changes are blindly dosing regardless of demand LOL.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sincere Apologies if I offended anyone.... I sometimes do that without realizing..... What I meant was new tech will enable more entry & mid level (ME) hobbyist to be more successful in areas that they normally struggle(SPS)
And advanced hobbyists who live very busy lives and/or have equipment failures.

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Alkatronic and Trident, they are different, but both very interesting devices. I can't wait to get one in hands and test.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody cannot drive a Porsche or Lamborghini right? I relate that the same to this hobby, what works for you won't necessarily work for me. Yes we all have differences in opinions about what to do or not to do, but when the rubber meets the road, what is the ultimate destination - having a thriving reef that we can enjoy. Some love their gadgets and stand by them while others are more old school and like doing everything/mostly everything manually. I personally feel that we shouldn't try to tell someone that this is what you have to do, but when we do give advice give them options from our experiences.

Think about it this way (for those with kids). When you give them the most solid advice in the world, do they always take that advice; absolutely not. They have to experience things on their own and then decide what works for them. Same thing in this hobby, we all can give our advice from our experiences, but how did we get there - trial and error. Not every piece of automated equipment is going to CRASH YOUR TANK like some think. It is just a chance that we take by using it. Who says that the manual test kit that we use are correct (and they can definitely be used improperly)? Do any of us have any evidence to prove otherwise?

If you are against using technology for assisting in controlling your reef, then that works for you. On the other hand, if you believe in having technology control your reef, then that is fine too. Too many times I see people saying don't do this or don't do that, but at the end of it all, we are all in different situations and the only true advice we can give are options to new and even experienced reefers alike; but their circumstances will vary based on so many variables within their own environment that I feel we cannot account for all of that when giving that advice (now there are somethings that are just flat out obvious, but others not so much).

I do have an Alkatronic and love it. I also have it adding Alk when necessary. Does it totally control my alk, absolutely not, but it does give me enough info to determine if what I am currently dosing has to be increased and not feel like I am required to determine that on my own by manual testing, 100%. Will that work for everyone, absolutely not. Will the Trident or any other tester mentioned in the poll work for everyone, absolutely not.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the GHL KH Director having seen the trident protype at MACNA I knew it would be to large to go under my aquarium stand. I think that will be an issue for many when they actually see it in person. The monitors need to be near the tank to measure effectively. So size will matter.

Back