Poll: Converting people to the hobby? How many?

How many people are you responsible for bringing to the "dark side"

Votes: 208 41.7%
  • 1-2

Votes: 191 38.3%
  • 3-4

Votes: 49 9.8%
  • 4-5

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • 6-9

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 10+ spreading love for this hobby is a full-time job!

Votes: 38 7.6%

• Total voters

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to see how many of you have converted friends or people local to the hobby. I feel like I am a big cheerleader for this hobby, and I am constantly (without realizing it sometimes) trying to find local people to share my passion with.

For me, it's one. @HotRockTarBaby is a local friend and he jumped in to this hobby HARD! Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL, quarantine tank, rock and coral quarantines, and he learns FAST. It's nice to have someone local to help (because no one else has the patience for this hobby that isn't in it or understands), to bounce ideas off of, trade with, etc.

He's a bad influence to me too, tells me we are buying Gem tangs in December 2018!

I know some people "sell" lots of people on this hobby, how many people have you "converted?"

@4FordFamily you don't give yourself enough credit. You can take a partial responsibility for me as well due to your advice on the site.;) As I'm sure you can for many others on here as well!

As for me, I claim one. My wife, who I introduced to Blond Naso Tangs, which she fell in love with. "But Darling, they need at least an 8 foot tank!" Bru hoo ha ha ha ha haaaaa! Dussumeri Tangs are her next introduction when I want to upgrade!:D

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a buddy of mine into freshwater plant tanks about 20 years ago (and he's still in), but I really don't try otherwise. I think folks need to find it for themselves based on their passions, otherwise they're just likely to be another short timer.

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to take a very unique type of person... Only .1% of people actually keep saltwater aquariums something around that. So statistically you would have to make a lot of effort to bring someone into the hobby like 1,000s of people potentially. It takes a very specific set of skills, interests, life circumstances, stability, excess cash and desire also ample amounts of free time. So you may find people that have interests but more than likely they will only be able to check 1 or 2 of those boxes.

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also one of the biggest motivating factors I have seen in recent years is potential for return. Tell someone how much you love spending hours per day watching, maintaining and slaving over a reef tank and you might have their attention for about 4 seconds. But tell them you sold some of your coral for 700$ and they will probably try and scheduling a meeting with you tomorrow to setup up their reef tank haha. Who knows maybe they will then find the passion in it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
grow sps in mason jar aquariums that cost ten cents and they will come

not joking, they're coming. its just a very slow stampede 16 yrs in the making give us another 3 pls :)

in my opinion if you reduce the volume and cost you quadruple the participation in growing coral. do the exact opposite of what we were told to do in the 90s, to bring in more reefers in my opinion. large tankers w always get the neat fish and fill that demand niche, and the huge colonies yep. when dealing with aquacultured/traded corals I don't have any issues with experimentation in smaller reefs.

Last edited:

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
grow sps in mason jar aquariums that cost ten cents and they will come

not joking, they're coming. its just a very slow stampede 16 yrs in the making give us another 3 pls :)

in my opinion if you reduce the volume and cost you quadruple the participation in growing coral. do the exact opposite of what we were told to do in the 90s, to bring in more reefers in my opinion. large tankers w always get the neat fish and fill that demand niche, and the huge colonies yep. when dealing with aquacultured/traded corals I don't have any issues with experimentation in smaller reefs.

I think your right and there is a whole abundance of neat fish and inverts that are suitable for picos and not so much any other tanks. Such as the flaming prawn goby and many nano shrimp. Those will get lost in a tank larger than 5g.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1516308714854832172056.jpg

:) a rumble in the distance

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily you don't give yourself enough credit. You can take a partial responsibility for me as well due to your advice on the site.;) As I'm sure you can for many others on here as well!

As for me, I claim one. My wife, who I introduced to Blond Naso Tangs, which she fell in love with. "But Darling, they need at least an 8 foot tank!" Bru hoo ha ha ha ha haaaaa! Dussumeri Tangs are her next introduction when I want to upgrade!:D

Haha that’s a good point! I fear I may scare some away! :D

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mt neighbors were interested . They came down to look at my old 220. I think that pushed them over the edge . They have 3 now & several freshy's also

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha that’s a good point! I fear I may scare some away! :D

I doubt you scare any away at all, as you show us paths to what works! I really value your advice very highly and when I am ready to set up my system your tang advice will be the cornerstone of how I introduce tangs. And yes, I realise it doesn't always go to plan.

Thank you.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt you scare any away at all, as you show us paths to what works! I really value your advice very highly and when I am ready to set up my system your tang advice will be the cornerstone of how I introduce tangs. And yes, I realise it doesn't always go to plan.

Thank you.
Thanks friend, that’s very kind. Glad you find it helpful!

Lord knows I made so many mistakes over the years— it’s part of my motivation to help others and save fish! :)

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically 0 :(. I -almost- got 2 people to the dark side. Both were very advanced freshwater people who were breeding discus and such, and were unfortunately obsessed with the idea that saltwater was "just too much work" or "way too expensive." I obviously tried to convince them that that's not the case, but with no luck.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back