Poll: Do you have and auto water change system set up?

Do you have an auto water change set up and have you noticed any differences?

• Yes

Votes: 50 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 486 68.6%
  • Yes - it's made a difference (discuss in thread)

Votes: 27 3.8%
  • No - I haven't noticed any difference (discuss in thread)

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Haven't even considered an AWC until now

Votes: 36 5.1%
  • I prefer to do water changes manually

Votes: 128 18.1%
  • Other (discuss in thread)

Votes: 14 2.0%

• Total voters

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, do you all have a pump running to keep your salt water mixed 24/7 for your AWC?...or just get it mixed initially then just let it sit stagnant until you need to mix more salt water up?

I run the pump for one hour to mix new saltwater, then turn off the mixing pump and let the water sit in the storage tank. I mix up enough saltwater for 2 weeks of water changes.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have an AWC system but I also do not carry buckets. My 56 gallon seahorse DT and 20 gallon sump require 24 gallons a week WC. That was too much for this ol' gal to carry and lift buckets. My RODI unit makes water in a brute can next to my basement sump. I have a 2nd brute can that I use to mix salt. That way I always have fresh made RO water and circulating fresh made salt water. I just syphon 8 gallons out of the sump into a floor drain and then pump fresh made salt water back into the sump. I do this 3Xs a week. Its not automatic but its quick and easy and can be done in 5 minutes without the back breaking labor. I could not keep seahorses without this system.

Thewatchmangoby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have awc autoaqua for my 25g. There is some goofing around with it, but so far so good, one thing about autoaqua is their customer support is top notch.

Tips, keep the sensors clean, before you change any setting be sure to reset unit first,message autoaqua on facebook for support.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genesis reef systems renew and storm pro version. I bit pricey but you get what you pay for. Its a great system very safe and very reliable. I have been using it since they came into the market many years ago (guessing 5 yrs). set it and forget it type system.
It has 2x 1 gal metering wells. First well takes water from sump and discards it while 2nd well fills up with fresh SW and places it back into sump. fail safe sensors in the sump to stop pump from running dry or if water level is high, fail safe in bins and rodi as well. automatically starts rodi unit when bin is low and stops when reaches max.
20130419_173624.jpg
20140319_190125.jpg
20140319_190157.jpg
20180720_095613.jpg

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, do you all have a pump running to keep your salt water mixed 24/7 for your AWC?...or just get it mixed initially then just let it sit stagnant until you need to mix more salt water up?
For my salt mixing station the pump runs 15 minutes every 6 hours.

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genesis reef systems renew and storm pro version here also. Have no idea how I ever got by without one but don't ever want to be without one again. Works flawlessly with minimum upkeep. I have only one issue and I haven't sat down and tried to figure it out. The max float switch gets triggered in the sump when I hit a feeding cycle on the GHL and the water climbs in the sump. Does not reset automatically once the water level returns to normal when the feeding cycle times out. Just have to hit a manual reset. Still absolutely love it.

IMG_6563.JPG

IMG_6562.JPG

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did it start a Dino issue?
My phosphate and nitrate got too low and I was just playing with this tank really. I will not be doing water changes on my new system as they are an unneeded task that has carried over from days past.

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the Auto Aqua ATO / AWC for several months. I never forget a water change now and just refill the salt and fresh reservoirs and empty the waste one. That takes about 15 minutes every four days or so. I like that the ATO / AWC are integrated so it cuts off the ATO when it does a water change. Doing the math to see where I needed to set the two sensors was about the hardest part of it. I did put it on a stand alone UPS because it seems to mess up the settings if it loses power.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great topic!! I use a @GHL MaxiSA doser thats connected to my #saltwater #mixing #station which all runs off my #GHL ProfiLux4!
I have a @VarioS4 for my main closed loop pump to mix my saltwater, it's fully automated!

SaltWater mixing pump - VarioS4.JPG

Mixing station.jpg

Mixing Staion #1.JPG

P4&MaxiSA.JPG

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genesis reef systems renew and storm pro version here also. Have no idea how I ever got by without one but don't ever want to be without one again. Works flawlessly with minimum upkeep. I have only one issue and I haven't sat down and tried to figure it out. The max float switch gets triggered in the sump when I hit a feeding cycle on the GHL and the water climbs in the sump. Does not reset automatically once the water level returns to normal when the feeding cycle times out. Just have to hit a manual reset. Still absolutely love it.

Hi, what are the two dark containers up high? Is that a holding container and then it's fed via gravity?

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, what are the two dark containers up high? Is that a holding container and then it's fed via gravity?
Correct. The system changes one gallon at a time up to 99 gallons, per day or per week or now. When it kicks off a water change, the container on the left (with mine, not necessarily always left) receives one gallon of fresh saltwater, the one on the right receives one gallon of tank water. Once everything is determined to be ok, the bucket on the left is dumped into the sump, the one on the right goes to the floor drain.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm picking up a 50 gallon Norwesco #41865 to build the mixing / awc tank station. There is still the frag system and QT tanks so will be drawing manually from this as well when needed. The best way to avoid precipitation is no heat and no mixing, but would an occasional say 10 minutes a few times a day of a power head running in the vessel be of any detriment? I've always had a power head on 24/7 in my mixing container thus far, but it was only for a couple days and heat would be run the evening before.

In terms of a build plan, I’m going to stack my current 25g Norsweco tank on top of it via a stand, and continue using it as my RO storage. Obviously the RO won’t hold a full amount to re-fill the salt mixing, but I can just turn the AWC off via a BOB controlled virtual outlet while refilling that tank and mixing for a day or so, no problem.

Looking forward to less buckets and consistency, that's for sure.

OP
OP
cromag27

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an extra liter meter and was thinking about setting up awc on a biocube! talk about lazy.

OP
OP
cromag27

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an extra liter meter and was thinking about setting up awc on a biocube! talk about lazy.
Do it. I have used liter meters for a little no time. Honestly have no idea why they are not more popular. Currely use for ato and AWC.

OP
OP
cromag27

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it. I have used liter meters for a little no time. Honestly have no idea why they are not more popular. Currely use for ato and AWC.

i hooked it up a few weeks ago. it’s filling too much right now. might need to calibrate it again, which is strange since it was calibrated not too long ago.

OP
OP
cromag27

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump. ;)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back