Poll: Do you run an airstone/bubbler in your system full time?

Do you run an airstone/bubbler full time? Where is it positioned?

• Yes - In the display

Votes: 11 1.8%
  • Yes - In the sump/refugium

Votes: 35 5.8%
  • Yes - In the skimmer

Votes: 31 5.1%
  • No - I don't run an airstone full time

Votes: 511 84.5%
  • Other (Discuss in thread)

Votes: 17 2.8%

• Total voters

SteadyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do on my seahorse tank, heavy breathers. I don’t on my reef tank, as the protein skimmer, crashing water in sump, and good tank surface agitation handle this.

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to see one of the old school reefers still running a counter current skimmer with lime wood airstones.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two wooden airstones in my sump. They are not run full-time though. I am experimenting with NMB scrubbing at the moment and am slowly ramping up the bubbling time. Bubbling is occurring during the evening time only when the lights are out. The benefits that I can already see from running only about a week is there is considerably more skimmate produced. The added benefit is greater oxygenation of the water. I have not seen any more stability with co2 levels. The corals anecdotally seem to have better PE. Long-term implementation of this method of nutrient removal will have to wait to see...
The following is a photo of my air pump in a DIY housing outdoors with mechanical filter media as well as co2 scrubbing media within the box. I like what I see so far...
DSCN6553.JPG

Last edited:

ElectricMusic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you must tell how you acquired this technology...
I was reasearching mucrobubble generator nozzles and came across the website shown at the end of the video. The engineer at that company (shown at the end of the video) designed the nozzle. He put the system together for me based on my input, and I adapted it to my tank. You would have to contact him directly via information on the website. I do not believe you can order one direct from the site.

Forestrain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one beside my return pump. On wen ph drops below 7,6 or Temp over 28° .
Just for savety

EZreefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O
There was a discussion over the weekend regarding the use running an airstone/bubbler full time in your aquarium. The discussion revolved around oxygen/gas exchange and stability of pH. It was suggested a poll was created to determine how many actually utilize an airstone full time in their systems.

So, let us know if you do. If you do, let us know if you run it in your display or your sump/refugium. I've added the skimmer as an option as well as there are some skimmers that utilize an airstone.

Please feel free to discuss your reasoning for utilizing an airstone in the thread.

alex.mccann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if someone already mentioned this. I've always wanted to set up the microbubble cleaning I've seen people do at night. Run an airstone near your return pump to push the microbubbles into the display. Seemed like people had good results from that? Or maybe it's really didn't do anything? Always been curious to try it out for awhile and see results.

Ray Panti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running 24/7 in my sump refugium, no precipitation, no issues, Ph always at 8.1 - 8.2.

Ellissp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this post is kinda old but I live an in apt that doesn’t have openable windows so my co2 build up causes my ph to drop, I just set up a wooden diffuser i. The back bottom of my tank and set up the intake of the pump by my air unit to get fresh air to pull into the aquarium. My knowledge is that it helps export co2 buildup or something in the water and thus raises ph if below like 7.9 and lowers it if below 8.4. I’m trying it out so imma test my water tonight and see if the ph is remaining more consistent.

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has a corner overflow and I run 3 pond-sized air pumps into the corner. There is no salt creep since the water level is so much lower in that area. Each pump raised my pH slightly more than .1 and my overall pH from below 8 to 8.3. I also use CO2 scrubbers on each air line. Overall, I am not sure it is worth the extra trouble or expense. Like most efforts in my life, each individual decision seemed reasonable until such time as I stepped back and looked at the big picture. Then it seems rather ridiculous to go to such lengths. But it is indeed effective. You just have to use a crap ton of air to make any noticeable effect in a decently-sized tank.
What size is that tank ?

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Would an airstone really compare to a large protein skimmer for oxygenation?

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer provides all the oxygen my system needs in my sump based systems on my 50g AIO I do have a air line running into the bio media to give the bacteria some extra oxygen.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back