• Over 40 years

Votes: 54 4.9%

• Total voters

reefrf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m 54, been in the hobby since I was 10 but with saltwater nearly 30 years. Started in the early 80’s. Took a break in the middle though. Been back for the last 15 years.

Last edited:

Rick Krejci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D93FB304-EFE7-4E51-ADC2-43E2A4459B81.jpeg I’m 59, had a 55 gallon system in the early 80’s, quit and just got back in a year ago; now have 2 systems, 139 and 75 gallons. You could say a few things have changed! Came across these books today in an old storage cabinet, this is how we used to reef...anyone remember these?

Had the left 2...those were the "new" ones I had. Had a few with just illustrations. Had my requisite undergravel with wooden airstones and a Magnum cansister :)

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Had one tank for a year (10 gal). moved out of my parents house. Dabbled in betta fish breeding for a year before getting a 20 gal freshwater for about 2 years before changing to a 9 gal cube for 2 years. Moved and upgraded it to 28g JBJ (Which I hated) for about 2 years. Then upgraded to my 75g for a year and half now.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 46. I got into reefing way back when I was 45.

My parents bought a 10g fresh water aquarium when I was a little kid. We had it a few months. That came to a messy end when we were decorating for Christmas. My dad was sliding the furniture it was on to make room for the tree when a leg broke off. The tank went to the floor and shattered. Decorating took a little longer than usual that year. Needless to say, no other aquariums were ever allowed in the house. Military life wasn't conducive to aquariums and then marriage happened. Life is finally slowing down which is why I decided to start pursuing this hobby.

Last edited:

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Born & raised in Borneo where I kept locally collected guppies in a large & used ceramic pottery (usually storage for preservative Asian duck eggs or spicy mustard). Monsoon drain right beside & behind our home ... lots of ghost shrimps, cichlids, gouramis, turtles, freshwater plants to name a few. My first freshwater Metaframe with tar that kept leaking water droplets occasionally. This was basically meant for the goldfish, neon tetras & swordtails and oh ... our tapwater was soft and never ever used any water conditioner at all! True confession: Borneo is surrounded by oceans and saltwater hobby wasn't even on my mind. Corals and fish abound and I took this nature bountiful resource as meh attitude ... come to think of it as being stupid and plain ignorant back then ;Facepalm Most times I would play with horseshoe crabs along the monsoon drain outlet to the mouth of the ocean front.

Moved to Toronto and kept schools of freshwater Discus in the basement. 2004 (August) ... my first taste of saltwater which went through a whole lotta trials and error over the years. Made lots of silly newbie moves wasting time & monies on stuffs that I kept reading online ... mostly all the hype of the moment "quick fix" remedies & acquiring every type of corals that everyone was talking about at that time. December 2013 ice storm incident ... my system crashed after 7 straight days without power and I went on a silent hiatus for a couple of years. Re-booted my system in late 2016 & made a switch from metal halide to T5's instead. Acquired quite a few used but still in good condition hardwares from local buddies who had decided to either retire or move out of the country. Some stuffs were free!! :D

Back when most corals were priced at $40 bucks are now at least $60 - $75 (common corals). Stupid Bounce mushroom hype raised all mushroom prices overall ... large Indo Yuma @ $145 each!! Nowadays I collect what I like and not influenced by what the majority of reefers are into designer named corals (over priced most of the time & plus they're all lit up by ReefBrite LED's which in turn transform the coral colours to blow up like a fake Christmas tree!). It'll be plain and simple husbandry with thriving and growing livestocks to satisfy my saltwater hobby. :cool:

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
saltwater/ reef tanks about 15 years. Aquariums in general about 30

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my first aquarium 1963. Start the real run around 1973. first saltwater 1979. Mostly freshwater to 2006 - after that only saltwater. I filled in more than 40 years :) in the hobby Born 1950 in march - soon 68. Been working in the field of water and fish since 1984

Sincerely Lasse

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back