POLL: How many individual corals did you buy this past weekend from R2R Black Friday Weekend Vendors?

How many individual corals did you buy this past weekend from R2R Black Friday Weekend Vendors?

Votes: 73 70.9%
  • 1-5

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • 6-10

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • 11-15

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • 16-20

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 21-30

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • 31-40

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 41-50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 51 or more (tell us more)

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As with everything sale related, the trick isn't to look at the discount, but to look at the final price and see if you are willing to pay it or not. I got some ridiculous coral bargains over the past 2 weeks; although that was more to do with live sales rather than Black Friday.

Equipment-wise not so much. I don't really think I saw any real 'doorbusters' all weekend.

I'm actually extremely glad that Black Friday/Cyber Monday is coming to an end, although it appears certain vendors are trying to drag it out as long as possible.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipping is always a big thing for me. I can't justify paying $30-$50 to have something shipped because that will effectively ruin the small discount I got, and I'm just not at a place where I can drop $250 on Corals to get free shipping. My LFS's all did their own Blackfriday sales on corals so I bought from them.
I used to think this way, but even with $30 shipping, if you really shop around, you can get some great deals. This weekend I got a gorgeous cynarina, pipe organ, and some zoas for $100 shipped, the cynarina would be $200-$300 at my local lfs. I would recommend corals.com if shipping is the sticking point for you, they charge $25 for shipping and it’s free at $150, and their corals are always big, healthy, and clean, though I recommend waiting for one of their frequent 25% off sales. If you want the best prices overall, aquasd can’t be beat IMO. Their shipping is $30, and isn’t free until $500, but their prices are so low that it easily works out. This is where I got the deal I mentioned. They have different sales every day and frequently have 30% off sales (this weekend and for a couple more hours everything is 50% off). But I’ve gotten so many good deals from them, a four headed black light torch for $65, a gorgeous trachy for $30, an amazing warpaint scoly for $150, plus they always throw in a freebie or two (I’ve gotten blastos, Duncans, gonis, Ricordeas, all of them quality frags). Anyway, I used to have a hard time bringing myself to pay shipping, but it’s now my preferred way of buying corals, the selection and the deals are just too good. Plus I’m lazy and don’t like having to drive 15 miles to the LFS.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None, compared to typical live sales after the expected holiday money rush is where the best deals are.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero. As others have mentioned, I went for the BF deals at my LFS to avoid shipping costs which basically negate any discount you might get online anyways.

To be honest, it was a little off-putting seeing this place turn into a giant advertisement for the week. I got tired of seeing 25 threads in a row with titles in all-caps touting their MEGA BLACK FRIDAY DEALS OMG!!!!! Don't get me wrong, I understand you have to pay the bills and these vendors pay good money to advertise in this space, but it was a bit much.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero. As others have mentioned, I went for the BF deals at my LFS to avoid shipping costs which basically negate any discount you might get online anyways.

To be honest, it was a little off-putting to see this place turn into a giant advertisement for the week. I got tired of seeing 25 threads in a row with titles in all-caps touting their MEGA BLACK FRIDAY DEALS OMG!!!!! Don't get me wrong, I understand you have to pay the bills and these vendors pay good money to advertise in this space, but it was a bit much.
Yeah, I was happy to log on this morning and see the home page back to normal

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its A Trap Movie GIF by Star Wars

Hmmm, this sounds to me like another corals-are-overpriced discussion in disguise...

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to think this way, but even with $30 shipping, if you really shop around, you can get some great deals. This weekend I got a gorgeous cynarina, pipe organ, and some zoas for $100 shipped, the cynarina would be $200-$300 at my local lfs. I would recommend corals.com if shipping is the sticking point for you, they charge $25 for shipping and it’s free at $150, and their corals are always big, healthy, and clean, though I recommend waiting for one of their frequent 25% off sales. If you want the best prices overall, aquasd can’t be beat IMO. Their shipping is $30, and isn’t free until $500, but their prices are so low that it easily works out. This is where I got the deal I mentioned. They have different sales every day and frequently have 30% off sales (this weekend and for a couple more hours everything is 50% off). But I’ve gotten so many good deals from them, a four headed black light torch for $65, a gorgeous trachy for $30, an amazing warpaint scoly for $150, plus they always throw in a freebie or two (I’ve gotten blastos, Duncans, gonis, Ricordeas, all of them quality frags). Anyway, I used to have a hard time bringing myself to pay shipping, but it’s now my preferred way of buying corals, the selection and the deals are just too good. Plus I’m lazy and don’t like having to drive 15 miles to the LFS.
I got a double-headed Kryptonite Candy Cane/Trumpet, a double-headed Green Duncan, a large Rainbow Florida Ricordea, and a 5 mouth either Acan or Micromussa (still learning the difference) for $82 + $5 in gas, when I priced all of these out to see how good of a deal I got, the closest with shipping I could get it to (at 7 different online retailers), it was $115 shipped (so 85 + shipping). I'm lucky enough that 2 of my LFS do online coral sales and Facebook Auctions so their prices are generally comparable. One of them even does Buy 3 pay for 2 "they pick" frags on their website.

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m happy to pay shipping when these vendors hook it up. The r2r gets a little crazy but it’s all about finding the right deal for you. I got what would be well over $1000 in SBB coral for $180! How can you bet that… and Ann at LRO had some unbeatable deals going on. If you can’t take the heat get out of the kitchen

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m happy to pay shipping when these vendors hook it up. The r2r gets a little crazy but it’s all about finding the right deal for you. I got what would be well over $1000 in SBB coral for $180! How can you bet that… and Ann at LRO had some unbeatable deals going on. If you can’t take the heat get out of the kitchen

I'm HAPPY TO PAY FOR SHIPPING bc loooooooooook at the selection you get.

You have access to 100% of what's flowing thru LosAngeles distribution channels from Indonesia

I'm just SPOILED from years past getting colonies for like $50.... not $350 !

Last edited:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought 2 on monday. The prices were actually, good. But for the black friday sales... It seemed just like all other price tags. I don't know anymore.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None, but bought quite a few from non R2R vendors. I support R2R vendors when it makes sense, but found better deals elsewhere.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I told myself no more coral since my tank is already packed... then I went and bought 9 on black friday. I just cant help myself.... thankfully they are mostly acan lords, so I will pack them in my growing acan garden. :) need to figure where to put the torches... I have frag racks all over already

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not surprised to see so many at 0 being that we all spent our money at BRS due to their marketing success. I placed 10 orders and didn't receive any bonus gift.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back