POLL: How many individual corals did you buy this past weekend from R2R Black Friday Weekend Vendors?

How many individual corals did you buy this past weekend from R2R Black Friday Weekend Vendors?

Votes: 73 70.9%
  • 1-5

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • 6-10

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • 11-15

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • 16-20

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 21-30

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • 31-40

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 41-50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 51 or more (tell us more)

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0. saw stuff i wanted but not at the prices i wanted. i scored better deals in other events than i did for what should’ve been the biggest sale of the year…
totally agree

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Way too many...
Let me correct that.... with last weekend's "before the rush" sales, I bought the majority of the way too many corals that I did... This weekend, I only bought about 10, but all for extremely discounted prices due to gift cards and winning things with my incredible .gif game.
season 1 queen GIF by The White Princess

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipping is always a big thing for me. I can't justify paying $30-$50 to have something shipped because that will effectively ruin the small discount I got, and I'm just not at a place where I can drop $250 on Corals to get free shipping. My LFS's all did their own Blackfriday sales on corals so I bought from them.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black Friday shopping is all relative, you are saving money in one place but most retailers get the chance to raise prices at these times. A transition so to speak without the consumer realizing.
With coral prices constantly changing it can be difficult to get a good baseline of what a "good deal" really is.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero. I actually got better prices a few weeks before Black Friday. I went to go look to compare... ya the sale 'looked better' at 40-50% off but the corals I bought... base price was now listed higher. So when I bought them a few weeks ago, I ended up still getting the same corals cheaper than on Black Friday.

It's marketing for most :)

A few places I would expect to get a better deal are places that don't do tons of sales like Battle Corals or Marine Farmers, etc. These places generally just do a straight % off, have the same aquacultured corals, and don't do live sales and so on so when they actually have a sale, you can be more sure it is a sale.

But if is a place that has lots of sales for every obscure holiday and 'live sales' and so on.. you best be careful if you want to spend your money wisely.

Last edited:

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero. I actually got better prices a few weeks before Black Friday. I went to go look to compare... ya the sale 'looked better' at 40-50% off but the corals I bought... base price was now listed higher. So when I bought them a few weeks ago, I ended up still getting the same corals cheaper than on Black Friday.

It's marketing :)
Yes, I saw the same thing

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Black Friday shopping is all relative, you are saving money in one place but most retailers get the chance to raise prices at these times. A transition so to speak without the consumer realizing.
With coral prices constantly changing it can be difficult to get a good baseline of what a "good deal" really is.
100% this. for the "beat the rush" sale i saw a coral go for 90$ after the discount. then the black friday and cyber monday sales that SAME coral was at 100+.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.5%
Back