Poll: How many of you live in an apartment and how big is your tank?

I live in an apartment and have a

• 0-10 gallon tank

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • 11-20 gallon tank

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • 21-30 gallon tank

Votes: 27 5.7%
  • 31-40 gallon tank

Votes: 31 6.5%
  • 41-50 gallon tank

Votes: 22 4.6%
  • 51-60 gallon tank

Votes: 17 3.6%
  • 61-70 gallon tank

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • 71+ gallon tank

Votes: 63 13.3%
  • I don't live in an apartment

Votes: 282 59.5%

• Total voters

PaulK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What in the f?!

That thing was so heavy for no reason too.

Left the sand bed and just enough water to keep the sand covered- all that fragile weight with water sloshing around going down 3 flights of stairs and loading it into a truck. Then unloading and taking it up to the other apartment; just thinking about it gets me worked up lol.

Every once in a while i wish i would have gotten with a larger All-in-one because it's so dang hard to reach stability in just 17 gal of water (25gal with rock and sand gets me 17g of water), but at the same time, i feel like it's a great size for me. I'm going to move again sometime in the future at least one more time, it might be down the street, it might be an hour away or a few states away, and i definitely don't want to deal with moving a bigger tank.

Do you guys with proper big boy tank with sumps, do you ever get worried about a pump malfunctioning and overflowing the system? That's another thing i love about my AIO, peace of mind in that regard. I've woken up from naps on the couch to the sound of RODI water spilling on my laundry room lol.

I'm on the top floor of my building with about 140 gallons in my Red Sea 525. I'm not really worried about overflowing. I tried to design it so that it's flood proof. All the plumbing is tightly secured, the ATO is small enough that the sump can't overflow, there's a backup drain to prevent the tank from overflowing, etc. Even if the tank backup drain was clogged, the return pump chamber is small enough that the pump would run dry before the tank overflowed. There's really nothing to worry about aside from the tank itself breaking.

The one problem is RODI. At first I just filled buckets, but once I forget and left it on overnight. I must have overflowed at least 20 gallons. I was sure someone below me was going to complain, but I never heard anything. I guess the concrete subfloors didn't let it through. Anyway, because of that issue I set up an RODI system that can't flood: it has a shut off valve.

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90! Plus fuge 125

3DDF2A57-E5A1-40C9-BF63-E93BF5115143.jpeg

0F3F1271-9FA1-4C16-A119-35A7163C5CD2.jpeg

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those boasting about rent payments significantly higher than house payments, time to get a house and not have to worry about what a pet is defined as being.

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Vancouver, BC. I have a 43 gallon.

We also have a dog and finding a place that is dog friendly is way harder vs a place that will accept a reasonable size aquarium.

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those boasting about rent payments significantly higher than house payments, time to get a house and not have to worry about what a pet is defined as being.

Good chance owning in high rent citys is even higher. We live in Vancouver, BC and our rent is 1,750 per month.

However a single family home will be around 1 million on the lower end.

A decent condo will cost 600k on the low end.

Condos though come with the same issues as renting many stratas restrict pets in units.

Its possible those in San Francisco and NYC are in the same boat where renting is the only option.

RobertP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0....had to sell off fish and corals when we sold our house. Moved into a temp apartment and they do not allow a tank. :( Cant get our new house built soon enough because we miss the tank badly!!!

Tofik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own an apartment and water is included in my association. Never had a tank before (minus a beta 'jar') My wife got me a 20 gallon tank for birthday, I didn't set it up yet, but already want another bigger aquarium...

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now leave in a house but I lived in apartments for years. I haven't been in my home for a year yet but when I lived in an apartment I had a 110-gallon reef. In that same apartment before the 110 gallon I had three tanks an 85 gallon a 43 gallon and a 36 gallon and I lived on the 3rd floor for 3 years. The apartment didn't mind and they said the floors were concrete slabs even on the third floor with that is the highest floor it was a bit hard to believe but I did put some serious weight on it and never had an issue.

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5th floor condo, have a AIO 40G Nuvo.

Wish I would of went bigger. Im planning of getting something around 65g or so tho. We have elevators so moving wouldn't be an issue.

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live on the 3 rd floor and my tank is a 29 gal cube. Talk about a pain to move upstairs. It was not only awkward but it was moved with the live sand and enough water to keep sand wet. Oh and it had to be carried up the very narrow stairs because there isn’t an elevator. I just looked at my lease. Couldn’t find anything that said a limit on size just that paper had to be signed for each type of animal, including fish. Oops. Maintenance has never said anything when they have been inside so I figured as long as I have no disasters I’ll be ok. Lol

AndrewB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon in my "condo" aka "apartment that I own" in Atlanta. Short of turning the dining room or spare bedroom into a fish room 40 or thereabouts is as big as I could go. I'll likely add a 20 to my sunroom before taking iver the spare bedroom!

maros73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 220 gallon tank on a 10th floor apartment in Guatemala City (Very seismic), decided to downgrade to a 30 gallon after an earthquake. Even with a 3 inch rim all around I had to clean 5 gallons of water off the floor.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back