POLL: How much do you spend on your frozen fish food?

What do you spend on frozen food each year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arnout96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Reefers,

I am trying to find out what other people spend on their frozen fish food annually, for which I created a poll.

My own spending is around a $100 every year again, solely on frozen fish food, which made me wonder: what do other people spend on their frozen fish food??

Let me know! I am real curious!

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our club has a food making party every spring, we all bring ingredients and make a giant tub of food that's evenly distributed among the participants. I got 4 or 5 bags at about 12oz. each. I'm still using the first bag from last spring. I only have 4 fish and feed about a 3/8" sq. cube every day. I spent around $25 for my portion of the ingredients. The fish are happy, healthy, and seem to go more nuts over this than any other food. I don't remember the exact ingredients but it's fresh seafood, nori, kale, krill, cyclopeze, and a bunch of other stuff. Well worth the effort.

OP
OP
Arnout96

Arnout96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our club has a food making party every spring, we all bring ingredients and make a giant tub of food that's evenly distributed among the participants. I got 4 or 5 bags at about 12oz. each. I'm still using the first bag from last spring. I only have 4 fish and feed about a 3/8" sq. cube every day. I spent around $25 for my portion of the ingredients. The fish are happy, healthy, and seem to go more nuts over this than any other food. I don't remember the exact ingredients but it's fresh seafood, nori, kale, krill, cyclopeze, and a bunch of other stuff. Well worth the effort.

Wow, that sounds amazing. Your fish must sure be fed in the most healthy way possible!

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that sounds amazing. Your fish must sure be fed in the most healthy way possible!

I found the ingredients on our forum. I also happened to have some fresh Tuna I added from a fishing trip the day before this time around.

Broccoli (1-2 pounds)
Kale
Spinach (9 oz)
Frozen Brine Shrimp
Frozen Krill
Frozen Silverside
Frozen Bloodworms
Rockfish (2 pounds)
Talapia (1 pound)
Lobster tail (8 ounces)
Salmon (1 pound) (remove skin)
Scallops (1 pound)
Shrimp (2 pound - peeled)
Soft Crab (4 crabs)
Seaweed multiple varieties
Garlic Xtreme
Freeze Dried Rotifers
Brine Shrimp Eggs Decapsulated
Freeze Dried or Frozen Plankton
Reef Plus Concentrated Vitamins and Amino Acid Supplement
Quart size Ziploc bags
RO/DI
Frozen PE Mysis
Squid
Phytoplankton
Cyclpeeze/Reef Roids

Club provided ingredients

Ken's Premium Golden Pearls 500-800 microns - 2, 4 0z. packages
Ken's Freeze dried mysis shrimp - 2, quarter pound packages
Ken's Low Temperature Dried Daphia - 2, quarter pound packages
Ken's Freeze Dried Superba Krill - quarter pound package

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use LRS Reef frenzy, piscine mysis, Hikari mysis, San Francisco Bay reef plankton and fish eggs, as well as my own fresh seafood mix of clams, salmon, menhaden, oysters, tobiko, tuna, and a few other odds and ends that are fresh.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you all mostly feed frozen? I am finding myself going more and more frozen only with some seaweed clipped for the tangs.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 120g system isn't fully stocked yet but I feed LRS fish frenzy once a day. I have found that there is very little water in the LRS product so a little piece goes a long way. I'm guessing I will end up between $40-$60 a year.

Edit: I run an autofeeder for 2 small servings of pellets during the day while I am at work.
I also feed one clip of Nori in the morning before work.

Last edited:

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use PE Mysis, PE Calanus, Spirulina Brine Shrimp and LRS fish frenzy. I'd guess that I spend about $80 a month on frozen... I also supplement with some pellets and powdered foods for variety.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you all mostly feed frozen? I am finding myself going more and more frozen only with some seaweed clipped for the tangs.
I only feed dry food when I'm on vacation and use an autofeeder. Otherwise it's just frozen for the fishies.

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost always feed frozen, although I'll occasionally feed pellets. I mainly use clams, oysters, and mysis. They are all pretty cheap. Then I supplement with rods or lrs to add some variety.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably spend right around $150 a year on frozen. I do feed pellets once a day from an auto feeder so the fish "remember it" so while I'm away for vacation or an extended period of time they are familiar with it still. Other than that, its frozen in small amounts 3-4times a day with 1 serving of live black worms. I do have 2 leopard wrasses and 2 tamarins so my feeding schedule is considerably greater than others. I mix together PE mysis, Hikari mysis, Cyclopeeze, reef caviar, rods and reef frenzy with selcon or vitachem...

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy a pack of:
PE mysis
PE calanus
LRS reef frenzy
salmon roe

Shopping list every 4 months lol

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 54 fish in 6 tanks I spend around $100 month just on fish food. This includes live black worms, white worms, PE mysis, Hikari mysis, krill, Nutramar Ova, LRS fish eggs, SF brand reef plankton, Oysters, clams, salmon, and squid for blender mush. Plus Julian Sprungs green, purple, and red dried algae. It sound like a lot, but it is not really when you add up the cost of the fish plus equipment. It was 5 years ago last month, the last time I lost a fish to disease. I attribute that to the diet they are fed.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at $125-$150 per year frozen. All LRS products, I rotate through fish frenzy, reef frenzy and fertility frenzy on a 45 jbj and evo 13.5. I also feed corals 2x a week with chopped fish frenzy mixed with reef roids and reef chili.

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fortunate enough to have been family friends with the owners of the pet store next to my Dairy Queen so I get everything at cost. It pays to know people Or have icecream to barter with

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent ZERO this year.

I won 4 packs of Reef Frenzy at last year's local show. :D

But normally I don't keep track of such things.
Ignorance is bliss.

kingdog22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd really like to try LRS, I tried Rods and did not like it at all. Not saying it's not good, it just didn't work for me. I went back to Omega One and P.E. sometimes I add Kent Zoe. My fish look really good. But I'm always open to suggestions. I also buy shrimp and clams at the grocery store. And once a week when I feed my anenome I cut some up for the fish and all my pistol shrimps.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back