POLL: How often do you feed your fish and more?

How often do you feed your fish?

• 1 Time daily

Votes: 351 45.2%
  • 2 Times daily

Votes: 267 34.4%
  • 3 Times daily

Votes: 91 11.7%
  • 4 or more times daily

Votes: 51 6.6%
  • Other; Please explain in a post

Votes: 17 2.2%

• Total voters

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. How often do you feed? Fish about 3 X a day, small amounts; corals I spot feed 1 - 2 X a week [I also do more frequent water changes than most people seem to]
2. What types of food do you feed? I mix it up - pellets, frozen foods (I put a cube in a small Tupperware and feed from it for 3-4 days; I rotate what is thawed and I feed frozen mysis, fish eggs, LRS), Nori once a week and I'm setting up a pod farm next week.

Diversity is the spice of life!

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed twice a day. 3 if I can on the weekends. A mixture of LRS Reef Frenzy, PE Mysis, Hikari pellets, and everything is soaked in Selcon.
2 clowns
Midas Blenny
3 blue/green chromis
Yellow watchmen goby w/pistol shrimp

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in a sheet of dried algae every morning.
Auto feeder drops in 2 small servings of pellets during the day.
LRS Fish Frenzy at night.

Starry Blenny,Yellow Tang, Hippo Tang, Magnificent Foxface, 2 Osc. clowns, 4 YT Damsels and a Flame Angel.

Brogratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Once daily at night.
2. Hikari Mysis, and Mysis once a week soaked in garlic. Occasionally feed pellets.
3. Yellow Assessor, pintail fairy wrasse, tailspot blenny, 2 clownfish, helfrichi firefish

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have far too many fish (16) in a 4' 240lt tank...but before anyone shouts at me my param's are spot on and the fish are all fine together. I feed once a day and use flake or frozen copepods or pellets or other frozen blocks ( mysis, brine ) and dried blocks of brine shrimp.

Reef addict...

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holly crap! I must be starving my poor inhabitants. I only feed once every third day. I feed heavy that day to make sure everyone ( including LPS ) gets enough to eat. I mix LRS reef frenzy, concentrated garlic, prawn and brine ova, frozen brine and mysis, aminos and vitamins. No wonder my clown bits me! I tried feeding daily but the algae was overwhelming. I find feeding every 3rd day gives the bio filter time to break everything down and keep nitrates under control. Everyone seems healthy. Maybe not very happy. I sometimes drop a few pellets in between feedings.
29 biocube
20 gal refugium
1 clown
1 fire shrimp
1 sexy shrimp
1 mandarin goby ( eats prepared food if you can believe it! She's a fat butt!lol)
1 pom pom crab
1 emerald crab
Hermits

Jakzen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. How often do you feed? I have 2 tanks, a 180 gal mixed reef and a 300 gal predator. Both are fed once a day in the morning and every other day in the evening.
2. What types of food do you feed? Both tanks get 25-30ml of a blend of LRS, Mysis, Bloodworm, Spirulina and ground ginger. Reef tank gets 2 sheets of Nori. Predator tank gets 20ml of the blend, two shot glasses of silversides and either 2 littleneck clams or 2 oysters (live). Afternoon feedings are pellet for the reef tank and krill for the predator tank.
3. How many fish do you have? (too many)
Reef: Hippo, Sailfin, Yellow and Purple Tangs, Leopard Wrasse, Lyretail Anthias, 3 BG Chromis, 3 Cleaner Shrimp, Harlequin Shrimp and a CUC.
Predator: Reticulated Puffer, Coral Catshark, Bamboo Catshark, Hawaiian Trigger, Niger Trigger, Harlequin Tusk, Convict Tang, Dragon Wrasse, Checkerboard Wrasse, Lemon Damsel, Filefish, Sea hare and whatever CUC has managed to evade the Dragon.

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holly crap! I must be starving my poor inhabitants. I only feed once every third day. I feed heavy that day to make sure everyone ( including LPS ) gets enough to eat. I mix LRS reef frenzy, concentrated garlic, prawn and brine ova, frozen brine and mysis, aminos and vitamins. No wonder my clown bits me! I tried feeding daily but the algae was overwhelming. I find feeding every 3rd day gives the bio filter time to break everything down and keep nitrates under control. Everyone seems healthy. Maybe not very happy. I sometimes drop a few pellets in between feedings.
29 biocube
20 gal refugium
1 clown
1 fire shrimp
1 sexy shrimp
1 mandarin goby ( eats prepared food if you can believe it! She's a fat ***!lol)
1 pom pom crab
1 emerald crab
Hermits

Wow this makes me hungry:) just feed less food everyday and shorten the time the lights are on and get a clean up crew:D

Luis Figueroa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone see any advantages of mixing their foods and feeding them all together as opposed to feeding separately at seperate times?

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By feeding food separately on different days, I know that all the fish eat a varied diet. In other words by feeding only mysis on one day I know the all eat it. Then on the secondition day I know they all eat brine and so on. That way I know for sure they all eat something different. The fish that are faster and less shy will eat the "good stuff" before the smaller more timid ones get a chance to :)

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a day with live blackworms, clams, mysis and some LRS food. I also feed live new born brine shrimp every day in a feeder that lasts a few hours. The baby brine are for the bluestripe pipefish, ruby red drgonettes, mandarins and purple anthius. I have about 22 fish.
Do you have the pipefish in the same tank with everyone else? Do they need special care other than feeding baby brine? I would love to get one but I didn't know if I could put them in with others. I wanted seahorses too.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Feed 4 times a day
first feeding mix of green and purple sea weed and ON Prime Reef flakes
2 feeding with Apex AFS with a mix ON formula 1, formula 2 and NLF Thera +A
last feeding with frozen mix of 3 cubes of ON frozen food, like ON angel formula, mysis, artemia, cyclops, rotifers, formula 1 or spirulina. and soacked in selcon
In the forth feeding I target feed my lps with half of frozen food.
Some times i skip the frozen food and feed the lps TLF goniopower or Coral frenzy

Emperor Angelfish (Pomacanthus imperator)
3 X Dispar Anthias (Pseudanthias dispar)
Blotched Anthias (Odontanthias borbonius)
Golden Red Sea Butterflyfish(Chaetodon semilarvatus)
2 X Black Ice Ocellaris Clownfish, (Amphiprion ocellaris )
2 X Platinum Percula Clownfish, (Amphiprion percula)
Wheeler's Shrimp Goby (Amblyeleotris wheeleri)
Diamond Watchman Goby (Valenciennea puellaris)
Blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)
Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens)
Powder Blue Tang (Acanthurus leucosternon)
Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum)
Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus cf cyanopleura)
Six Line Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia)
Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus)

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed twice a day, Am Pm
My own recipe of frozen along with
frozen mysis
Oyster feast
Roti feast
R.O.E.
vitimarn m
vitimarn c
amino acid
and a tiny bit of reef roids
I slack enough for 7 day and mix everything together in a 250ml beaker and feed a teaspoon at each feeding
edit forgot the live stock
sailfin tang
hippo tang
8 line wrasse
matted filefish
yellow striped maroon clown
sally lightfoot crab
2 conchs
1 halloween crab
cuc
IMG_4527.JPG
How do you like your 8 lne wrasse? Is it like a 6 line as far as it being aggressive towards certain tank mates?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like your 8 lne wrasse? Is it like a 6 line as far as it being aggressive towards certain tank mates?
He is a pretty aggressive, they also will eat you shrimp inhabitants. Oh that will be the only wrasse you can have in the tank.

Besides all that, he is a really cool fish

tgp4274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
auto pellet feeder goes off three times a day
feed 4 leaves romain in morning before leave for work
feed 4 cubes frozen when get home from work usually 4 times a week

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the pipefish in the same tank with everyone else? Do they need special care other than feeding baby brine? I would love to get one but I didn't know if I could put them in with others. I wanted seahorses too.

The pipefish are in with everything else. Here they are eating from their feeder. The male is pregnant like is always is.

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! For someone about to set up a tank this is as overwhelming as picking the right equipment, maybe more so. How do I know what to start with?

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed 1x per day (30 gal w/ 2 Wyoming white clowns, 1 swissgaurd basslet, 1 starry blenny, and 1 stippled clingfish) I alternate feeding frozen PE Mysis shrimp and frozen Lipits reef blend. Occasionally if I am running low on time I'll drop in some wet Mysis flakes (which my cleaner shrimp seems to prefer chasing)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! For someone about to set up a tank this is as overwhelming as picking the right equipment, maybe more so. How do I know what to start with?

Keep reading. :D

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back