POLL: How QUICKLY did you UPGRADE to a LARGER AQUARIUM?

How Quickly did you Upgrade to a Larger Aquarium?

• Less than 1 year into the hobby

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • 1-2 years into the hobby

Votes: 35 29.2%
  • 2-3 years into the hobby

Votes: 14 11.7%
  • 3-4 years into the hobby

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • 4-5 years into the hobby

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • 5+ years into the hobby

Votes: 12 10.0%
  • I have never upgraded

Votes: 12 10.0%
  • I have upgraded many times over this hobby, too many times to count!

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! How many gallons do you figure a 33 long would be?

What specifically do you feel would be easier with a smaller tank?

33 long is 48in x 12 x 12, not sure how many gallons it would actually hold.

The 180 looks nice, grows corals well, and has some beautiful tangs in it. But the maintenance needed to maintain it takes a good amount of time. To clean the glass completely, water change, vacuum the sand, and clean the skimmer takes about 2 hours start to finish. Then factor in refilling two part containers, cleaning the glass during the week, filling the ato. The time time adds up, and I find myself not wanting to do things all the time.

My 20 long in my office is the opposite. Refill the ato every two weeks and a five gallon water change every week. I haven't even touched the glass in over a month and it still looks good.

Sometimes the big tank looks good on paper, and fits the space in the room. But in reality, it's not the right fit. I've had it set up for about two years and I'm really considering selling it.

OP
OP
Macbalacano

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
33 long is 48in x 12 x 12, not sure how many gallons it would actually hold.

The 180 looks nice, grows corals well, and has some beautiful tangs in it. But the maintenance needed to maintain it takes a good amount of time. To clean the glass completely, water change, vacuum the sand, and clean the skimmer takes about 2 hours start to finish. Then factor in refilling two part containers, cleaning the glass during the week, filling the ato. The time time adds up, and I find myself not wanting to do things all the time.

My 20 long in my office is the opposite. Refill the ato every two weeks and a five gallon water change every week. I haven't even touched the glass in over a month and it still looks good.

Sometimes the big tank looks good on paper, and fits the space in the room. But in reality, it's not the right fit. I've had it set up for about two years and I'm really considering selling it.
Thanks for taking the time to share, this is super insightful. I'm trying to figure out the right size for my next tank and I was really going with 'go big or go home'. But after reading comments like yours a few times in this thread, its really making me think that something in-between (moderation!) is good.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for taking the time to share, this is super insightful. I'm trying to figure out the right size for my next tank and I was really going with 'go big or go home'. But after reading comments like yours a few times in this thread, its really making me think that something in-between (moderation!) is good.
Go with, whatever you can make look the best, and not have to worry about budgeting items for the tank.

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is 2-3 years. But that depends on starting size. Looks like most smaller are upgrading in less than a year. I think once you break 75g the upgrade is a little slower. Almost one year and I'm ready to upgrade my 120

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been 1 year since I came back to the hobby and I never thought I'd get the itch to upgrade and yet here we are!

Just curious how quickly others have upgraded?

What did you upgrade from?

What did you upgrade to?

Any regrets, lessons learned or advice?

Pictures more than welcome! :)
I started a 13.5 last April for my birthday. Was my “test tank” from my parents. I love reef fish, and there’s just so little you can keep in a 13 gallon. This April, I’m starting a new 75 gallon, FOWL at first until I can afford lights and a controller.

BillFish Coral Lover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with a standard 120g in 2007, then put a 29 NanoCube in the bedroom which I had to take down because of the noise - my wife couldn't deal with it, but her snoring is now louder than that tank ever was, even with the chiller!
Still dying to "upgrade" but to a smaller tank due to financial and physical health. I'd really like a custom 40 or 42" x "22 x 20" but am hoping to do a mixed IM 75 with SPS or IM50 + IM25 as separate SPS and LPS. Daddy needs a new pair of tanks!

Sudaien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought 32 bio cube. 4 months ago
. Upgraded lights to Steve's leds. It helped things grow better.
Two months later I bought a 65.
Three weeks ago a 130 water box. Someone please stop me lol

jvanorman1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still setting up my first tank, however I read somewhere that most people that get into this hobby end up upgrading within the first year and upgrade to a 90 gallon...
So I saved myself the headache by starting with a 90 gallon. It’s going to be a mixed reef.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think you might upgrade relatively quickly just go ahead and buy the bigger tank now.

I got my first aquarium in 1990 and it was a 50 gallon freshwater. I had several smaller tanks along with that one over the next 6 years including my first, second, and third saltwater tanks (10 gal, 29 gal, 50 gal). My first upgrade wasn't until 2002 when I set up a 100 gal saltwater fish-only. In 2005 I upgraded to a 150 (complete start over and the start of what I currently have). That system was upgraded to a 180 about 4 years later, then downsized to a 120 in 2013. In 2016 I got my 300DD and that's where I am today... though I did add a 75 gal lagoon to the system. No idea when or if I'll upgrade again. I'd love to build something like 96" x 48" x 27" H but it will be a few years minimum (or another house). Seeing some of these great plywood builds has me considering the upgrade more and more!

Sudaien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still setting up my first tank, however I read somewhere that most people that get into this hobby end up upgrading within the first year and upgrade to a 90 gallon...
So I saved myself the headache by starting with a 90 gallon. It’s going to be a mixed reef.
smartest thing i have heard yet, good thinking

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 12 + years ago I started off with a 125 Gal Fowlr. got divorced and downgraded to a 55Gal. Quit because had no time or space. last year, kids wanted some fish, so got a couple of Freshwaters to put in a Beta tank I had laying around. realized that the Beta tank was way too small for the fish we got (Red Tailed Shark and Black Knife Ghost fish). That started my itch. In November 2020, I ended up getting an Innovative Marine Nuvo Concept Encore 20 from a fellow reefer and made half FW and the other SW with the intention of using the Salt half as a QT. started down the path of looking for something big. I wanted something in the realm of 180+ Gal and wife was all for it. looked at RedSea, Waterbox, Cade, Custom. Nov 2020 I ended up inheriting a 75 Gal Lee Mar from a friend and a 60+ Gal Advanced Acrylic Sump from another. 75 Gal Display measures 36 x 24 x 20 and the sump measure 47 x 24 x 16, so the sump was not going to fit in the stand I got. Decided to get a custom stand with the future goal of a 60 x 30 x 24 display tank and reached out to Framing Tech to get it designed and made. So Dec 2020, I got the tank up and running and here we are with the hand me down items running and my wife just keeps buying new critters. She knows that I am planning to upgrade in a little over a year, but but the more she stocks the tank, the sooner i need to upgrade. Also ended up getting rid of the IM Nuvo and upgraded the FW to a 20 Gal tall Aqueon from Petco $1/Gal sale. Once i get the 60 x 30 x 24, the 75Gal will turn into a FW for the Ghost Fish and the Red Tail

unnamed.jpg

unnamed.gif

Last edited:

-XENOMORPH-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2016 pentagon tank 45 gallon? (Didn't know any better)
2017 60 gallon CUBE
2020 CUBE seal failure, whole tank blew out in house. (A mess)
2020 Fluval Evo 13.5 ( hahahahaha)
2021 looking at Waterbox X or JBJ 65 AIO.

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started in the hobby about 13 ish years ago my progression was:

20 gallon for a few months then
72 gallon bow front for about 8 months then
150 gallon for about two years

Life and children happened and I left the hobby for about 10 years.

I restarted with a 60 gallon cube and am currently setting up a 144 gallon half circle (should be adding water end of the month).

When i returned to the hobby I knew i would be upgrading quickly if I enjoyed the cube as much as I once loved my other tanks.

germo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought 32 bio cube. 4 months ago
. Upgraded lights to Steve's leds. It helped things grow better.
Two months later I bought a 65.
Three weeks ago a 130 water box. Someone please stop me lol
I have a bio cube 3 and I am curious about this Steve’s leds. Where can I find them. I keep hearing all these great things.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back