Poll: inches of fish per gallon

What is your gallons to one inch of full grown fish are in your tank (DT volume only)

• More than 1" per 1 gallon

Votes: 18 4.6%
  • 1" per 1 gallon

Votes: 40 10.2%
  • 1" per 2 gallon

Votes: 62 15.8%
  • 1" per 3 gallon

Votes: 76 19.4%
  • 1" per 4 gallon

Votes: 32 8.2%
  • 1" per 5 gallon

Votes: 60 15.3%
  • Over 5 gallons per inch

Votes: 104 26.5%

• Total voters

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many inches of fish does everyone have per gallon of water? This seems to be a common debate, and I would like to see what everyone runs.
This is more of a rule of thumb for freshwater in my experience. But I believe the general consensus is 1" for 5 gallons of water...I may be wrong.

big deddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont use any per gallon ratio. I start slow and add slowly to give system time to adjust. That being said I have 12 in about 100 gallons. I also skim extremely heavy and have about 5 gallon capacity of cheato in my fuge. My tank has been up and running about 4 and a half years. 7 of the fish I have were added ok n the last 16 months.

OP
OP
G

Gator0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that there are a lot more variables that go into this equation, but it is a general rule. It was a conversation to see what others have done themselves and been successful with to give others ideas on whether they are doing a little to much, right on par, or might have room to add a couple.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm probably at about 1" per 7 gallons now... but several of my fish are still juveniles, and are going to grow. Probably be closer to 1 in 4 or so, when they're all growed up.

I don't find much use in this particular metric. Just too many variables involved.

OP
OP
G

Gator0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no specific inches per gallon rule. It is more about the fish's particular care requirements, level of aggression, vertical swimming room, how "messsy" the fish is and your filtration, etc.

For example, I have 3 garden eels in my 28 gallon tank. they are each about 14 inches long. That adds up to 42 inches in a 28 gallon tank. If you went by the 1 inch per gallon "rule", that would mean it would be "ok" to get 4 blue hippo tangs that max out around 8 inches. Putting 4 blue hippo tangs in a 28 gallon tank doesnt make much sense, right? this rule is more of a freshwater thing

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many inches of fish does everyone have per gallon of water? This seems to be a common debate, and I would like to see what everyone runs.

Honestly it's an old wives tale for freshwater tanks (even for freshwater it's not very accurate). The inch per gallon rule gives zero consideration to the level of activity of the fish in question. A Yellow Tang and a Marine Betta get roughly the same size but if anyone has watched the two in action, it's pretty clear the Tang needs more space.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t find much use for “inches per gallon”.

When my stock list is complete, I will have approximately 80” in a 108 gallon tank. That’s full grown size, and I am stocking with juveniles.

I have no fish over 4” fully grown, and am stocking with bottom dwellers, open water, cave dwellers, etc.

All community, peaceful fish. So far I have 18 fish. I will be adding 4-6 more.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add fish slowly and allow time (weeks, not days) between adding fish your nitrate test kit will tell you when to slow down.

FWIW, whether one is under-stocked or over-stocked is more then just a nutrient load problem. In fact, with modern nutrient export mechanisms, swimming space is more likely to be the limiting factor.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 71 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 7 7.8%
Back