Poll: Is Valentine's Day a Real Holiday?

Is Valentine's Day a Real Holiday?

• Yes - Or at least my spouse/partner/SO sure thinks so

Votes: 115 17.2%
  • Yes - I enjoy it and go all out

Votes: 34 5.1%
  • No - It's a holiday created by Hallmark

Votes: 260 38.9%
  • No - I try to show I love my spouse/partner/SO every day

Votes: 197 29.4%
  • I have no comment about this poll

Votes: 116 17.3%

• Total voters

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well about 35 years ago my girl friend at the time ask me to come to her parents for supper where she gave a card and some candy. Then she asked the famous question "What did you get me?" Nothing was the answer did not think it was a big deal? Well after several minutes of getting harpooned, I went back to my truck (of course I am a redneck) reached under the seat grabbed a $300 gold chain (1983) which I purchased for her birthday a week later and threw it at her and told her if Valentines day is so important here is your Valentines/Birthday gift and drove off. Well most know the story I never forgot Valentines Day ever again, never tied it to her birthday and we have been married for 33 years +. I am a sucker!

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a fake holiday, but also happens to be the day of my first date, and the day we got engaged 3 years later. We go to the same restaurant every year (I set the bar high for a first date... lol). Today happens to be our 5 year anniversary of when we started dating. So I don't believe in the holiday, but it has meaning to me now.

My wife and I had our first date on valentine's too (9 years ago). 100% unintentional on my part; we were just starting to talk and I was going to be out night so I ask her "do you want to meet up?" before I realized what day it was... :eek:

We definitely don't go all out, but we usually go to a nice dinner and reminisce. We went out last night. Our first wedding anniversary is on March 5th.

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey its not a holiday if coral isn't considered a valid gift (its not I checked)

Brynn

Brynn rhymes with Gwynn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite a handsome guy you have there! :rolleyes: :D:D

He looks like a "keeper."

Agree. Although, he sees me as his sugar mama. I was joking with my friend, who didnt get the joke... that this will be our, me and Octo's, best Valentine's Day. By this time next year the honeymoon stage will be long over. I'll be annoyed with his fickleness, and he'll be tired of my whinning.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I get the day off it's a real holiday ..... otherwise it's just a hallmark-orchestrated scam to separate me from my $$. Ack, that reminds me ..... got to go out and buy some cards.

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I had our first date on valentine's too (9 years ago). 100% unintentional on my part; we were just starting to talk and I was going to be out night so I ask her "do you want to meet up?" before I realized what day it was... :eek:

We definitely don't go all out, but we usually go to a nice dinner and reminisce. We went out last night. Our first wedding anniversary is on March 5th.
Nice! We are finally getting married in September :)

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife doesn't give a crap about it, lol. Our anniversary however is a month later and much more important to her.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're just pawns buying crap we don't need...

Our significant others could probably turn this around and make this case about our reefs as well.

I love all holidays. We never break the bank, but always try to keep it simple and still make it special for us and the kids (with the wife 16 years, girls are 10 and 7).

Captmcfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not a real holiday created by hallmark to boost sales in an off season. Gf and mother to my 3 year old son got nothing for this fake celebration of love. She also got me nothing. We know we love each other every day. My son made her a card at daycare tho. We just get through the 2 months of Xmas and then this... nope not playing.

U

User1

View Badges
Personal opinion is it is what you make of it. If it is special to you then it is a holiday. If it isn't it could be for any number of reasons. The way I see it is after 33 years of marriage I am not the same boy she married then at 19. We've seen and been through a lot together so Valentines Day evolves over the years. Not only is today Valentine's day it is also Ash Wednesday. Add in giving wine up for Lint it becomes the trifecta of crazy town - so this year is a no celebration day :)

So I'm making Quattro Formaggi aka four cheese pasta, broccoli and a salad. Normal routine albeit not so healthy dinner but tasty and relax has a family. Pretty boring I guess bug it works.

c2l2parker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife just bought me a gift certificate to my LFS, and I quickly added a new acro and a new lobo. So in my opinion Valentine’s Day is real, and it is a GREAT holiday. I wish every day was Valentine’s Day.

churro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see why not. No different then any other holiday. Celebrate how you wish. It doesn't have to include chocolates and flowers or a card, or a balloon lol.
My fiance bought me "sea flowers"(corals) as he called them [emoji23] and brought me a coffee this morning lol. I think it's a fun holiday at times.
Last year, he put a large stuffed bear in my car and at 5am I almost called the police thinking someone was in my car. We still laugh about that

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back