Poll: Male or Female - Aquarist not the Fish!

Are You a Male or Female Aquarist?

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great conversation taking place over the last several days (found here) regarding the involvement of your spouse or significant other. One of the things that came up is the sex of the main tank keeper in the house. I know this has been discussed before, and since it's difficult to tell by a screen name, let's do an updated poll of the membership.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah the only ladies I see are the gfs or wives of fellow reefers
:(
I am a wife to a reefer on here but that doesn't mean that I'm not involved in the reef keeping of the tank. It is our tank and we both take care of it. I do testing on the tank so does he. I help with water changes and keeping parameters in check. Yes he does alot of the math behind it but that doesn't mean he is the sole person responsible for the tank. We have moved 2 times so far and I've been there to lift the tank and help set it back up. We are in it together. Just because we are the wife or gf of a reefer doesn't mean we aren't reefers. Just saying. :)

olivia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible forums may just be more populated by males into the hobby? If reef tanks are in fact disproportionately maintained/owned by men, I would be curious to understand why that might be. (In my home its the opposite.) My boyfriend put in a good effort to listen to my non-stop talk about my reef tank ups and downs of the day. Expenses, set-up, tank maintenance, etc. on the other hand is more of my job.

I don't think it is rare for women to spend money on an aquarium, perhaps just less common? Again, I am somewhat newer to the saltwater world so I coud be wrong.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This will be crazy lopsided and still very interesting. Would love to see more ladies get into reefing. They really do make awesome reef keepers.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible forums may just be more populated by males into the hobby? If reef tanks are in fact disproportionately maintained/owned by men, I would be curious to understand why that might be. (In my home its the opposite.) My boyfriend put in a good effort to listen to my non-stop talk about my reef tank ups and downs of the day. Expenses, set-up, tank maintenance, etc. on the other hand is more of my job.

I don't think it is rare for women to spend money on an aquarium, perhaps just less common? Again, I am somewhat newer to the saltwater world so I coud be wrong.
You can start by looking into big 5 personality traits and the differences between men and women.

For myself, I enjoy the technical aspect of it, keeping a microcosm on the edge of disaster. My wife enjoys picking out the pretty colors.

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of expected it to favor males. This is from my experience of who I've met over the years and the turnouts I see at swaps and such. Tends to be mostly to all male.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can start by looking into big 5 personality traits and the differences between men and women.

For myself, I enjoy the technical aspect of it, keeping a microcosm on the edge of disaster. My wife enjoys picking out the pretty colors.

Oh boy...I can see this thread will turn into stereotyping genders already. lol

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's the difference in the way the genders process information. It's been proven that on average women are usually better at subjects like English, fine arts, whereas men tend to excel in math, science and history. Not saying at all that either gender is smarter than the other, just saying that reefing tends to be math and Chem heavy which leans toward the male thought process

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back