POLL: Rate on average, how much do you trust what you read as OPINIONS on R2R as solid advice

How much do you trust an OPINION on R2R as solid advice

• 1 - I'm very skeptical and only believe opinions when backed by scientific proof

Votes: 10 8.9%

Votes: 9 8.0%

Votes: 16 14.3%

Votes: 11 9.8%

Votes: 27 24.1%

Votes: 12 10.7%

Votes: 17 15.2%

Votes: 7 6.3%

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 10 - I fully trust opinions if presented well

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how to answer. I trust some peoples opinions and some are outright silly.
I didn't know it was an all or nothing thing.
I’m with this , some people always give great advice but others rush to the extreme like telling someone to use vibrant on two week old tank ect..

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how to answer. I trust some peoples opinions and some are outright silly.
I didn't know it was an all or nothing thing.
This.
I respect others opinions.
But I’m an unorthodox type reefer.
So opinion and advice be two different things.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most advice on here is just regurgitated crap spout by the loudest people on the boards. I truly trust the advice of very few ppl on here such as @Paul B.

The irony is most reefers cannot replicate Paul B's reef management success because they don't have a decades old tank.

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been around this forum long enough to know who has rock solid advice. I'm sure lots of others are just as knowledgeable but I remain skeptical until I see enough to build trust in their opinions.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, every time I ask a question the only opinion I get is

bump

and the person that told me to run my lights 3 hours a day.

I stopped asking for opinions and started doing and learning. So I now have experience with ozone, UV, biopellets,
dosing, NoPox, GFO, LaCl, Vibrant, fluconazole, Chemiclean, Live food, eels, lions, butterflies, tangs, Angels large and dwarf, home made sumps, AC pumps ,DC pumps, Hydros, MH/T5, LEDs, heater controllers, drain design for silence,
macro algae, crabs small and large, trace elements, live rock, dead rock and a host of other things.
Next up is sulfur denitrators. In the mail on it's way to me now.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opinions have a fair chance in ending in fact. Even some of the wrong opinions given on here were I'm sure based partially on truth. Issue is that this hobby is no one size fits all scenario.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I post on here now and then, and I find myself to be believable 100% of the time when it comes to my opinions. The problem with opinions is that many people have the same level of self reliability as I stated but they don't really seem to understand the difference between opinions and facts.

I am occasionally wrong and folks have called me out for that. Other times I am ~100% correct and the response has been zilch, aka cancellation. The latter worries me, the former keeps me humble. I am not the most humble person on here, but I am the most likeable, imo. :)

the sandlot wtf GIF

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R is like any other information source. You have to weed through the hipe to find the fruit. It's not too difficult to determine who is responding in an intelligent manner and with the intention of being helpful. That being said, opinions are quite different than advice, and both are only markers leading in a direction that may, or may not end in data that validates fact.
If one perceives 100 like opinions to be fact, one has been foolish 101 times. Personally, I appreciate it immensely when someone offers advice, and all opinions are welcomed. What makes it through my fact filter is my own business.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love these kinds of posts, because Im looking for scientific proof for these routine daily events and challenges below in reefing, link 'em :)

1. Can a two year old reef tank running perfectly normal have nitrite issues? and if so, does nitrite actually matter in reefing, in a two year old reef tank with no losses and no recent doses of medication?

2. After a cycle, can a reef tank ever uncycle - especially with a full complement of animals running in it, for two years?

I have ten more questions to ask for the pros.

and if I dont see some links for just the first two, convincing answers, then Ima 'sume there are no pros and the info we read here ain't all bad though its not found on scholar or in books. if its in books, lemme see the answers and we'll help out a recent poster using the pro approach.

web forums evolve practices faster and better than peer reviewed published articles.

sounds like an overstatement / awr

show me a peer reviewed article reviewing pico reefs that grow endangered corals indefinitely, without any lifespan cap. question three inevitably is: lemme see some pro pico reef peer reviewed biology, anything. any aspect

stumbling and fumbling into handy things repeatedly is still discovery heh.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like lots of opinions given on here...especially my own. :D

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the thing, I like to think that their is almost no bad info posted on this forum when it comes to helping others. You may not agree with it, but does that make it wrong...HMMM!!! Between the many great members of this forum that help out, along with the #reefsquad, #MODS, @Randy Holmes-Farley, @Dana Riddle, @Jay Hemdal, we have enough great and AWESOME knowledgeable people to help reefers get thru their issues.

To learn and progress in this hobby...you need to open your mind and not close it.

NO ONE PERSON KNOWS IT ALL!!!

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back