POLL: Start to finish, how long of time is your Water Change?

Start to finish, how long of time is your avg Water Change?

• Total voters

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
POLL: Start to finish, how long of time is your avg Water Change?

From the time you say, "Here we go".....to the time its complete and you move to smthg else

Last edited:

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depends on the day and if I want to get lost in the tanks or not hahah wish I had an auto change but not yet ;)

But usually for both tanks it takes under an hour.

This is of course with water prepped and nothing going wrong and rinsing all socks and filter pads and with nothing going wrong, did I say that lol

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you are talking about warming water than it will tank me a couple of hours.
If you are taking just changing water than it's 5-10 min. 5 gal bucket take out 5 gal dumped in.

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes me hours due to the time it takes to bring the water to temperature. I guess if I take the heater out of my tank and go full blast it would take less time, but I usually don't.

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under 10. But water is always on hand (heated and circulating). I use a python to drain and turn the sand bed into the sink. Then pump directly from my mixing station to refill. 5 min out 5 min in. Any longer and you start getting lazy. Invest in things that make maintenance painless. You will actually do the maintenance that way and enjoy this hobby that much more.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you are talking about warming water than it will tank me a couple of hours.
If you are taking just changing water than it's 5-10 min. 5 gal bucket take out 5 gal dumped in.
If you're warming the water by putting in a heater then walking away..... the walking away time wouldnt count

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realistically it takes me a hour or longer. I have to move corals around a bit to get to certain areas.I have three tanks pumbed together and I like to hit them all at once.Then I got to lug the buckets out and hose them off.

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling with Cyano, so usually my water changes include scrubbing stuff inside the tank as well as taking the time to vacuum my sand bed. It usually takes me like 2 hours or so for a 5g water change on a 29g Biocube and 10g QT.

4067steve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a120 gallon mainly fish only and I change about 25 gallons every two weeks.
probably takes about an hour and a half.
still using pails and carry from the basement
Looking for a pump. Maybe someday

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did water changes on my 18" cubed nano it took about 20 minutes for 3 gallons every week. I used esv-b ionic. So it takes about 15 to weigh and mix while heating in a 5 gallon bucket, its 4 part. Then drain 3 add 3.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10-15 min but it's only the time pumps require to empty and fill 80G I only throw the salt in and just turn on and iff couple pumps on apex.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do weekly 20-25 percent water changes on my 120, the old fashion way, siphon hose to 5 gallon buckets. Turkey baster the rock to get all the organics off, any film algae, or anything that could be building, let the sump settle a bit, 20-30 minutes in total. Longest thing is the time it takes to siphon and walk the water outside, kinda even have to be careful since thats when i like to turkey bast the rocks and almost had a few mishaps on the carpet LOL.

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I premix my SW in a 55 gal plastic drum. I use the python water changer to take the water out of my tank. Then hook up the hose from the python water change to a pump I have in my 55 gal mixing container to add water back to the tanks.

I have 3 tanks and it takes me roughly 30 minutes from start to finish to change 50 gallons.

40 gal reef
40 gal broodstock tank
20 gallon QT

charlieborg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take me about 10 min or so. I usually have the water mixed and up to temp way before I do the change. Then open a valve, drain out 20 %. then close valve, turn on the pump in my holding tank. Fast and easy!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back