POLL: What Coral HITCHHIKERS Have You KEPT?

Have you kept a hitchhiker on your coral?

• Total voters

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What hitchhikers from corals have you kept and put into your tanks? I have only kept 4 hitchhikers, all Bluntspined Brittlestars that all look the same. Got an ID and no one said they saw this brittlestar in that variation and I have 4 now. Anyways, let me know if you have or haven’t!
9DCF5F42-3B74-45A4-9E0C-62A82EF79DE3.jpeg
80992677-C90C-4481-B1FC-A03C12014F68.jpeg

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got what i thought was a dead shell stuck on a piece of rock. Over the years it appears to have gotten bigger. One day i decide to pop it off and place it in a spot with more flow. Turned out it opened up and was a live clam.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many. For many years I didn’t dip corals and just kept and dealt with what ever came in, and live rock used to come with all kinds of life. Even now, if I see something come off in a dip that is beneficial or that isn’t detrimental, I’ll try to save it. So off the top of my head: pistol shrimps, crabs (usually end up removing, but take a wait and see approach if I’m not sure what it is), various urchins (some turned out to be problematic), stomatellas (several varieties), various snails, asterinas and little brittle stars, several types of coral (mushrooms, palys, leathers, psuedocorynactis, btas), various macro algae, all manner of Polychaete worms (only get rid of the massive, potentially eunicid varieties), various clams, tunicates, and sponges, and a couple fish (a neon goby and some sort of rock goby). There are probably a lot more I’m forgetting. Most of these came in on live rock, not frags, but still hitchhikers.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got what i thought was a dead shell stuck on a piece of rock. Over the years it appears to have gotten bigger. One day i decide to pop it off and place it in a spot with more flow. Turned out it opened up and was a live clam.
Wow that’s interesting
I kept an asterina starfish. I may regret this one day.
I know others have other opinions but I think I hat if you see them to the point where it’s every few days you see one or two, it’s just another good member of the cuc and manager of coralline
So many. For many years I didn’t dip corals and just kept and dealt with what ever came in, and live rock used to come with all kinds of life. Even now, if I see something come off in a dip that is beneficial or that isn’t detrimental, I’ll try to save it. So off the top of my head: pistol shrimps, crabs (usually end up removing, but take a wait and see approach if I’m not sure what it is), various urchins (some turned out to be problematic), stomatellas (several varieties), various snails, asterinas and little brittle stars, several types of coral (mushrooms, palys, leathers, psuedocorynactis, btas), various macro algae, all manner of Polychaete worms (only get rid of the massive, potentially eunicid varieties), various clams, tunicates, and sponges, and a couple fish (a neon goby and some sort of rock goby). There are probably a lot more I’m forgetting. Most of these came in on live rock, not frags, but still hitchhikers.
Wow that’s a lot!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing crazy. A brittle star, fan worms, a small snail, clams, sponges, various algaes, aptasia (kinda just disappeared on its own), pods/mysis, and captain jerk palys. The palys came on a trumpet and now cover a good portion of the tank.
I’m pretty sure there was also a pistol shrimp in a rock but my pistol has taken care of him.
I didn’t dip any newcomers but probably will start after my bjd problem.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought my first piece of live rock ever, my daughter begged me to keep an asterina. Fortunately, it dissapeared and was never seen again. Dodged a bullet there!

Last edited:
Back