Poll: What do you use to make water less yellow?

What do you use to make water less yellow?

• GAC (granulated active carbon)

Votes: 443 72.0%
  • Purigen

Votes: 36 5.9%
  • Ozone

Votes: 20 3.3%
  • UV Sterilizer

Votes: 68 11.1%
  • Other Oxidizers and or binders

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • Other

Votes: 32 5.2%
  • Nothing

Votes: 105 17.1%

• Total voters

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Coral Snow as well, sort of. I use a DIY version that works just as well.. KZ Coral Snow is really expensive, have you looked into this
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-kz-coral-snow-with-97-purity.211722/

It's what I use, it's basically the same thing but way cheaper, you can get a 97% purity 5 pound bag of CaCO3 (KZ coral snow) for 12 bucks on Amazon. I'm pretty sure a 5 pound bag will last me a lifetime, if you're interested read through the thread, if you switch you'll save a lot.
+1 on diy coral snow
Stuff is awesome

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run ozone, with a controller. Look at the poll, so few people run ozone anymore. Too much hassle? Livestock or human safety concerns?

I have always ran Ozone, I run it at full speed, don't use a controller, don't need to test, never had any health problems (although my hair fell out) :rolleyes:
Have no yellow water or any other problems, never had to do anything to the thing and forget it is there, don't have to quarantine (although I think that has nothing to do with Ozone) and my fish are all smiling :D

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always ran Ozone, I run it at full speed, don't use a controller, don't need to test, never had any health problems (although my hair fell out) :rolleyes:
Have no yellow water or any other problems, never had to do anything to the thing and forget it is there, don't have to quarantine (although I think that has nothing to do with Ozone) and my fish are all smiling :D

Paul, I do know some people do have reactions to a very small amount of residue ozone in the air. Personally, I had no such problems.
The way we arrived at the correct safe level of ozone was to put your nose over where the ozone exited, turn the ozone up till you could smell it then back it off a little so you could no longer smell it. Like you say no controllers back in the day just a nose for the job ;Nurse

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use gac plus weekly water changes, gac amount is rated for below tank volume calculation, and changed each water change.
Havent seen any post on UV, but in systems i use uv i see no effect on yellow pigment. What size uv would you need to breakdown the organics in gelbstoff? I use uv on a planted blackwater aquarium and i still have tannins with uv.

My understanding of oxididators was they worked on the same principle as ozone just with a different oxidizer. O3 is a stronger oxidizer than O2 so the effect might be faster with O3 and may need less. I could be wrong ive never actually used either lol.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, I do know some people do have reactions to a very small amount of residue ozone in the air. Personally, I had no such problems.
The way we arrived at the correct safe level of ozone was to put your nose over where the ozone exited, turn the ozone up till you could smell it then back it off a little so you could no longer smell it. Like you say no controllers back in the day just a nose for the job ;Nurse

Yes, but resist the urge to put the hose up your nose. :rolleyes:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first Ozonizer. a Sander and not the most reliable I have to say, it did not like being in the damp air of the cabinet. I got this model about 30 ish years ago.

sander ozonizer.jpg

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sochting suggests the oxygen produced "activated oxygen" whatever that means. ;Bookworm

Ray from ghost busters “Well, we talk to it; we sing to it. Say kind, nuturing things to it.”
Maybe it does form O3 or perhaps the smaller bubbles or more abundant O2 increases oxidizing potential.
I wonder if simple micro bubble scrubbing has an effect on yellow water? Maybe ill test have a wooden airstone lying around.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if simple micro bubble scrubbing has an effect on yellow water? Maybe ill test have a wooden airstone lying around.

No need, just ask those who struggle with microbubbles in their aquarium produced by some of their equipment lol. .

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but resist the urge to put the hose up your nose. :rolleyes:

What do you mean Paul, it's far better than sniffing glue :confused:
Clears the sinuses out as well ;Wacky
Kids, don't try that at home as it will do more harm that sniffing socks underpants and illegal substances. ;)

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO free O atoms - oxygen radicals

Sincerly Lasse

Thanks for that Lasse.

I just had to Google that lol.
Quote "A free radical is any species capable of independent existence containing one or more unpaired electrons [1]. The unpaired electron alters the chemical reactivity of the molecule/atom, making it more reactive than the corresponding non-radical form. The oxygen free radicals include superoxide anion radical (O2·), singlet oxygen (1O2), hydroxyl radical (·OH) and perhydroxyl radical (HO2·) and are termed collectively the ‘reactive oxygen species’ (ROS). The usual route of O2 metabolism is through its complete reduction to H2O by accepting four electrons. However, with a single electron reduction several free radicals and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) are formed. In vivo, ROS are generated by oxidant enzymes, phagocytic cells, ionizing radiation, etc. Superoxide anion is believed to be the first radical formed, mainly by the electron transport chain when O2 picks up a single electron. Radicals such as ·OH, HO2· and H2O2 are formed from O2·– [2,3]. O2·– undergoes a dismutation reaction catalysed by the enzyme superoxide dismutase (SOD) to form H2O2,"

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you study the cross-sectional drawings of the Oxydator, it is clear that it is actually pushing the peroxide liquid into the water stream - not just oxygen. The catalyst just generates oxygen so as to displace the peroxide liquid from the container and force it out through the bottom outlet into the water stream. It is the peroxide that is oxidizing and breaking down the dissolved organic material. The risk would be if you somehow overturned or dumped the entire container of peroxide into the tank at one time.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you study the cross-sectional drawings of the Oxydator, it is clear that it is actually pushing the peroxide liquid into the water stream - not just oxygen. The catalyst just generates oxygen so as to displace the peroxide liquid from the container and force it out through the bottom outlet into the water stream. It is the peroxide that is oxidizing and breaking down the dissolved organic material. The risk would be if you somehow overturned or dumped the entire container of peroxide into the tank at one time.

Probably could achieve the same effect with a slow dose of h2o2.

Back