POLL: What Have YOU Spent the MOST MONEY on OVERALL for YOUR Reef Tank?

What have you spent the most money on overall for your reef tank?

• Total voters

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is all about sharing what is the main blowtorch to your wallet! This thread asks what products you have spent on your reef tank overall. For example, if the most expensive purchase you bought was a tank that was $200, but you have spent $201+ on several buckets of salt i.e. that may have been less than $200, then you would put salt. I hope that makes sense. Anyways, share away! I want to see what has been the spear in the side of this hobby for you!

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
critters critters critters. The pricing on some of these corals is retarded and it's still expensive even when you stay on the frugal end. I think the larger your tank the more the critters will overtake the budget vs a smaller tank that's outfitted for automation etc..

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
critters critters critters. The pricing on some of these corals is retarded and it's still expensive even when you stay on the frugal end. I think the larger your tank the more the critters will overtake the budget vs a smaller tank that's outfitted for automation etc..
I feel like the tank is the cheapest part of the whole deal. I bought a 32 Gallon Biocube from Marine and Reef in a bundle with many things including a protein skimmer, algae magnet, and other misc stuff and that hasn't been the most expensive part about it. I don't have any corals in it yet (I just got a royal gramma a week and a half ago) and I have spent about 35% on the tank and 65% on everything else. That's before corals and other fish which is crazy.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely coral! I think I have more in torches than I paid for my tank... and you're spot on, the larger the tank, the more usable area and the more $$!

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted tank as £1200.00 in a sale that said quick grab this bargain as its £ 600 off so 1200 instead 1800 but 1 year later sale still same lol.
But i got stock protein skimmer,return pump,pipework,2 heaters with it,which may or not upgrade as time goes by.if it does the job then it stays,if it isnt upto par then will change,simple as that really.but im early in my saltwater journey but i doubt i spend on any one item costing more than probably £ 1000.00 as i think roughly costs £ 200 to buy protein skimmer/ pump/ 2 heaters to replace like for like with what came with tank.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted salt. I initially bought the tank/stand used on craigslist. Since then I had some pretty pricey purchases, but have to say that I don't even want to know how much I've spent on salt over the years.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely coral! I think I have more in torches than I paid for my tank... and you're spot on, the larger the tank, the more usable area and the more $$!
Going to be in the next few months. Torches are just too irresistible to not buy.
I voted salt. I initially bought the tank/stand used on craigslist. Since then I had some pretty pricey purchases, but have to say that I don't even want to know how much I've spent on salt over the years.
I feel like the first few years, most of the money is livestock, and then once the tank has matured and there isn't really a need to keep stocking, the money is sent more towards equipment and replaced items

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup > inhabitants, but no single item of the build cost more than the whole of inhabitants. Tank itself is the single most expensive piece. Collectively it’s fish & coral.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I look at it... 3 head HG torch = $1200... that's 20 buckets of salt which will last me about 2 yrs. And I haven't even considered the other torches, trachys, scolys or cynarinas... So, it will take years for the salt and the aging equipment to catch up.
But who's counting... my mom had a saying as I grew up: "the guy sitting at the bar getting drunk doesn't count shots, so if you're gonna be a drunk, why count?"

Joem820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, fish for sure. Miraculously, I managed to keep all of my equipment expenses in the realm of semi-reasonable. Sure, I am now looking at the tank thinking, maybe I should upgrade this or that, but it increased the budget for fish that I wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back