Polyp bailout on bubble coral and a few other LPS

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a water change a few days ago, the blastos started polyp bailout and not the bubble coral has just started as well. Is it because of these red things? Are they flat worm eggs?

F7C339A9-E993-496C-B5C5-D3CC0CCAB93E.jpeg

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some more information... tank parameters, how old is your tank, etc. Without any information, it's hard for us to help...

OP
OP
Corey Shelk

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some more information... tank parameters, how old is your tank, etc. Without any information, it's hard for us to help...
Yeah sorry I was looking more for identification of the red things. Everything has remained constant except the alkalinity was extremely high and now it has dropped because KH wasn’t being dosed anymore. It’s not my tank so I don’t have exact parameters except I took a video of the tank sunday and everything looked good, the bailout seemed extremely abrupt. Only things that have changed was the alkalinity drop and the lightning changed. So could either of those have caused the bailout?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sorry I was looking more for identification of the red things. Everything has remained constant except the alkalinity was extremely high and now it has dropped because KH wasn’t being dosed anymore. It’s not my tank so I don’t have exact parameters except I took a video of the tank sunday and everything looked good, the bailout seemed extremely abrupt. Only things that have changed was the alkalinity drop and the lightning changed. So could either of those have caused the bailout?
Yes, I think a big drop in alk can do this, what was the change (ie 14 dkh to 10 dkh?)

OP
OP
Corey Shelk

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops, note to self, drastic changes are worse than a parameter that's off.
Some of us would hesitate moving from 14 to 7 over a month.
Yeah it was unintentional, they stopped dosing KH and weren’t expecting such a drastic change. So you think that’s it an digs not these red dots?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it was unintentional, they stopped dosing KH and weren’t expecting such a drastic change. So you think that’s it an digs not these red dots?
I don't think the red dots would cause everyone to react simultaneously.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about the red dots on the outter part of the coral skeleton? Cuz that looks like coralline.

IF you're talking about the red streaks on the inside, could be just dying flesh.

I think. one thing that can happen with stressed corals besides just polyp bail out is if there was a bacteria in the water they were fighting off while healthy, when they get stressed sick, the bacteria could start winning over and killing parts of the coral as well infection wise (especially iwth Euphs and Soft Coral).

I'm sure there's a more scientific explanation of the phenomenon I'm talking about but this is just my neked eye observations.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back