Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 46 11.7%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 221 56.2%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 102 26.0%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 12 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 3.1%

• Total voters

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to have a minimum of 3 or so. The more the better. I’ll only buy somewhat “established” frags, no fresh chops, that have some healthy and visible matting/webbing between the polyps.

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4-5 polyps. There's too big a chance that one or two will melt away. If someone is selling per polyp I move right along. Doesn't make sense to count how many are on the plug. What is the frag cost? That determines whether I buy it our not.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always get one. 1 quickly turns into 2, which turns into 4, which turns into 8, which turns into 16...

danny_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One polyp is a rip off unless is goes below 1 dollar/euro .. 2-4 is acceptable if they are fast growing.
For the more "exotic ones" i would only buy 4-8 polyps, and then only if the price is right. Far to often the prices are ridiculously high or the type offered based on only colour of their slow growth rate.

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have you noticed zoanthids (often called zoas) being sold one head (sometimes called polyps) at a time or sometimes with heads that are far less than full size? How do you feel about this? Some may appreciate the chance to get a chance to get an unusual zoa especially if the price per polyp is high. Other people may look for the rock that hosts an entire zoa colony, while still others look for zoas for sale that have between three and five polyps. Please tell us what you expect when you are shopping for zoas. How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

Pro Tip: Not all zoas grow at the same pace and some varieties can even outcompete other types for space. If you are buying fewer heads then consider selecting faster growing and faster replicating zoa varieties.

Riptide-8294_Zoa.jpeg

Photo by @riptide Aquaculture

If you have zoa related questions, feel free to check out the R2R zoa discussion section where you can read, learn, and ask additional questions!

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.
Where can I find the info on which zoas grow faster?

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some single polyps of some fancier types as they are fairly prolific & have added 3-4 heads in a month's.grandis & toxic green paly are growing like weeds
I wouldn't spend big money on zoa's to be fair.the price for some single polyps is daft

Seascapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have you noticed zoanthids (often called zoas) being sold one head (sometimes called polyps) at a time or sometimes with heads that are far less than full size? How do you feel about this? Some may appreciate the chance to get a chance to get an unusual zoa especially if the price per polyp is high. Other people may look for the rock that hosts an entire zoa colony, while still others look for zoas for sale that have between three and five polyps. Please tell us what you expect when you are shopping for zoas. How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

Pro Tip: Not all zoas grow at the same pace and some varieties can even outcompete other types for space. If you are buying fewer heads then consider selecting faster growing and faster replicating zoa varieties.

Riptide-8294_Zoa.jpeg

Photo by @riptide Aquaculture

If you have zoa related questions, feel free to check out the R2R zoa discussion section where you can read, learn, and ask additional questions!

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.
I don't buy one pollup zoas. I think the costs for one pollup zoas are insane and I don't see the rational to pay those prices. Just starting with them and the ones I have grow really slow or melt when I have just one, money wasted.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best number of 0.. just because the more you would buy - the more time you would subsequently spent exterminateting these little pests..

Reefingpops52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to start with one MAYBE two is stretching for me I actually love to watch the new heads form and sprout growing zoa and paly is one of the few things I can actually say I do well...my colonies are far from were they started but not sprawling colonies yet because I like to grow them out and because I pinch here and there to place some back intoy grow out tanks...but a lot of my zoa's I noticed seem to grow larger heads than those I have seen in many of my friends tanks of the same zoa's not sure why but they just do..I have wonder if it's because I keep my magnesium at a high level I have heard that can be a contributor to this.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s all about control of supply and demand. Rare Zoa’s will sell per polyp to keep it rare as possible and only the best reefers will keep it alive for it to thrive in their tank.
Zoa’s sold in a colony isn’t as attractive or rare.
So, does someone have a catalog of what's rare and what's not? Does the catalog have pictures that can validate you are really buying lollipops instead of candy canes? Does the catalog rate which ones grow fast and which ones melt? If anyone is trashing excess zoas from their tanks there's a bunch of us out here that would like to experience that problem. Gladly pay for shipping for some colonies you are throwing away.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back