Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 46 11.7%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 221 56.2%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 102 26.0%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 12 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 3.1%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

Have you noticed zoanthids (often called zoas) being sold one head (sometimes called polyps) at a time or sometimes with heads that are far less than full size? How do you feel about this? Some may appreciate the chance to get a chance to get an unusual zoa especially if the price per polyp is high. Other people may look for the rock that hosts an entire zoa colony, while still others look for zoas for sale that have between three and five polyps. Please tell us what you expect when you are shopping for zoas. How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

Pro Tip: Not all zoas grow at the same pace and some varieties can even outcompete other types for space. If you are buying fewer heads then consider selecting faster growing and faster replicating zoa varieties.

Riptide-8294_Zoa.jpeg

Photo by @RiptideAquaculture

If you have zoa related questions, feel free to check out the [URL='https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/zoa-discussion-club-zoa.14/']R2R zoa discussion section[/URL] where you can read, learn, and ask additional questions!

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: [URL]https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/[/URL]

[ATTACH type="full" alt="NutramarBanner.png"]3175046[/ATTACH]
“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.

Attachments

• NutramarBanner.png
    NutramarBanner.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 914

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually avoid sellers that sell zoas by polyp, because I view it as nonsense imagine if someone sells you an acro frag "by branch". I buy by frag, doesn't matter if its one polyp or 10 on that frag, it will leave the choice up to me and up to my needs...

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I frag Zoas, I try to get about 4-5 heads per frag. When buying, I look for about the same. I will buy frags with less heads, but it isn't preferable. I think the Zoas reproduce faster when you start with a more.
20230329_204714.jpg
Exponentially

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-4 polyps, imo. One polyp for me usually melts, but not always. I agree that the per polyp pricing is ridiculous. I sell them all locally for the same price per frag. Also very cheap to share the hobby. Doesn't matter if they are Pandoras or Fruit Loops.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said 2-4 which I would consider a minimum but prefer more. I absolutely refuse to buy any of the one polyp frags. Ludicrous to start with that many have resorted to selling by the polyp let alone some charging $5-10 pp for the most common of zoa let alone $50-100+ for some stuff. Aside from that your chances of success are drastically reduced the fewer the polyps. Big risk with the top dollar stuff being it's not uncommon to lose 1 or more polyps with a new frag.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i try to start with 2. recent vendors have given me more polyps that what i've purchased so i always welcome generosity! ideally i'd like to start with 4 to mitigate not having extra polyps to make other colonies with.

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to stick to at least 3+ heads on zoas. The single head frags never seem to do well for me.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought Zoas once in my life and it was a full colony, it now it is two full colonies with pups all over the place. All my 2-5 head bunches were all given to me. (I am not a zoas fan)

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Depends on what it is. Some zoas stall after being cut whereas in others it encourages growth. I recently reuped on hallucinations after losing mine in a move. I went ahead and paid the premium for a multi-polyped frag because I didn't want to wait years for it to really get rolling. However, once you have 3-4p they generally become pretty good growers. I've had this one about 5-6 weeks and Its already budding babies. Poinsettias are another that just grow incredibly slow - even with favorable parameters and good nutrition so you're unlikely to see anything more than a single. I've come to the point where I'll often by duplicate frags regardless the number of polyps, in that way you're *almost* assured to end up with a viable specimen (and this has saved my butt a few times).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My minimum is 6 heads. I generally get colonies based on tank size.

1685464157591.png
1685464267954.png
1685464338630.png
1685464375353.png
1685464353743.png

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want to get at least 4-5 polyps to start. If it's something crazy though that I can only get one polyp of then I'll do it! :p

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the cost of some of the high end ones, sometimes the one polyp is all the investment I want to make. I have been lucky so far, they have all lasted except one that melted. Some seem to reproduce very fast and others are very slow. My Utter Chaos went from 1 to 6 in just a couple of months. Waiting on my little shop of horrors to reproduce, it’s just one. I have two GMK and hoping they take off. I guess I get some joy when I buy one polyp and it takes off. I just love to see them multiply. When they do enough I will share with some friends and hopefully they do the same in their tanks.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 is the sweet spot for me. All the frags I bought with 2 or fewer struggle to take hold, with the exception being my Utter Chaos.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back