Discussion in 'Polyplab' started by Polyplab, Oct 24, 2017.

POLYPLAB CATCH ICH EARLY CAMPAIGN

Medic is a highly effective water conditioner used to control external fish parasites present in both marine and freshwater environments. It...
Tags:
  1. Polyplab

Polyplab Active Member Gold Sponsor

What is Medic?

Medic is a highly effective water conditioner used to control external fish parasites present in both marine and freshwater environments. It contains a reef-safe oxidizing agent and is particularly effective against: Marine Ich - Crytpocaryon irritans, Freshwater Ich - Ichthyophthirius, and Marine Velvet - Amyloodinium ocellatum.

Features
    • Completely reef-safe
    • Buffered to maintain physiological pH
    • Does not harm invertebrates
    • Does not harm nitrifying bacteria

How Medic Works:
    Completely reef-safe, Bufferded to maintain physiological pH. Does not harm invertebrates and does not harm nitrifying bacteria. Many external fish parasites have very similar life cycles. In particular, these parasites have an "attached stage (trophonts), a "matured" stage (protomonts, a "reproductive" stage (tomonts), and a "free-swimming" stage (theronts/dinospores).

Most available treatments has do not target the free-swimming stage of the parasite which is one of the primarily difficulties in dealing with these problems. Research with dilated protozoans has shown that the "free-swimming" stage of parasites have remarkably consistent hatching times. We have engineered our product to be most efficient during this stage. Our conditioner targets the trophont stage of the parasite but is also disrupting the life cycle during the "free-swimming timeframe - when the oxidative component in the conditioner is particularly effective against theronts/dinospores.

Directions:
    For in tank treatment: Use one level scoop of Medic for every 190L (50 Gallons) of your system volume twice per day For serious problems use (3) level scoop for every 190L (50 Gallons) of your system volume. Dose once in the morning, and once in the evening. Continue to dose for 10 days up to a maximum of 20 days.

Note: Ozone and carbon must not be used during the treatment. Protein skimmers can be run as as normal. UV filter can be used one hour after dosing. The problem may seem to disappear when white specks are no longer visible on the fish. This is merely part of the natural cycle of the parasite and you must continue dosing the product for the minimum entire course (10 days) to be maximally effective. After treatment is complete, run granular activated carbon for 2 or 3 days.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2017
    John Hughes, wader, Kremis and 3 others like this.
    Tags:

2. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Photo of the Month Award

So what is it? What does it do? How do you use it?

3. Polyplab

4. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Photo of the Month Award

Be102, Roggio and Robin Haselden like this.
  5. Polyplab

No its not :)

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  6. saltyfilmfolks

But it's an oxidser. How does this effect the bugs better than another one like peroxide?
    How does it only target ick?

Be102 and Robin Haselden like this.
  7. Polyplab

Some oxidiser are more effective than others when they are submited to particular parameters of an aquarium. PH and Temperature are 2x of the most important. So you want a material that is doing his job as an oxidizer to reduce actual parasites counts and that can stay active for a long period of time to achieve the same objective.

8. saltyfilmfolks

Ah got it thank you.
    I'd have to assume it would effect both unwanted and beneficial protoza as well. And possibly other macro fauna with thin tissue and membrane. Also I suppose some strains of bacteria.

9. Polyplab

Yes you are correct, other Protoza are going to be reduced in counts in the process. Customers that requires to go over the 20x days max run need to add a bacterial boosting products. When the tanks are large in water volume bacterial addition is not necessary. Nytrifing bacteria are safe

10. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Very cool and thank you for sharing!

jsker and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  11. saltyfilmfolks

Thank you so much for your time today.

12. reefs+waves

reefs+waves Well-Known Member

Ich is terrible. Set up a 15 gallon hospital tank with copper for all my fish and they died from temp swing after everybody was looking great. Didn’t have a heater because I live in south fl and have a 55 gallon so temp dosent swing that bad, but in the 15 gallon temp swings are magnified and that night a cold front came through. None of that would of happened if I would’ve bought a heater or had a qt tank setup to qt my new arrival.

13. reefs+waves

reefs+waves Well-Known Member

Nice looking product to stop ich wish I would’ve found it!

jsker likes this.
  14. Rakie

Rakie Federal Coral Reserve R2R Supporter SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor

If you're taking requests; Give us an alternative to prazipro for flukes!

I've had almost nothing but bad reactions using Prazipro -- and while extremely anecdotal, all systems I've used PraziPro on have gotten dinos. In two systems, one system 4 times, directly after dosing.

@Polyplab -- I had no idea you guys made stuff besides coral food. I love watching companies branch out! So often a company with a different specialization attacks a problem from a different point of view, and comes up with an alternative solution to a problem.

For us reefers, with tanks that can be individually finicky as all get-out -- This is great.

PS: Time to replace Prazipro! haha

MnFish1 and jsker like this.
  15. Shaun Sweeney

Shaun Sweeney Well-Known Member

Good stuff. Will order for medicine cabinet.

16. zsxking

zsxking Well-Known Member

The only thing I care is how can I get all those cute poster from @Polyplab online. :p

MnFish1 and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  17. fredjr

fredjr Well-Known Member

I have used the stuff before and it's hit or miss.

18. chicago

chicago Well-Known Member

It would be nice to state exactly how this kills ick. Best preventative med out there after doing this for 40 years is clearly set up QT. Sorry. I have used everything. Copper in Qt hypo or cp in QT

BigJohnny, andrewkw and Jongalt26 like this.
  19. batfish5

batfish5 Member

I have used Polyp Lab Medic,and it is the best ICK remedy I have ever used !!!

leicaguy likes this.
  20. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I understand how the product is supposed to work, but I don't understand how a 10 day treatment would be effective.

If this product has a 10 day treatment window and targets free swimming theronts, how does it impact tomonts that may hatch outside of this 10 day window?

Draft saved Draft deleted