• Yes

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters

Lex_510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This rock was giving to me with some brown/green polyps. Having in my tank for some time now but setting up a bigger tank and came across some info that they can be toxic. Should I not deal with them? And not put this coral in the new tank? Thanks

image.jpg image.jpg

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and No....Always use caution. I’d isolate the rock so they don’t spread all over and always try and keep them submerged. If you are working on the LR , wear gloves and goggles. You should be fine but always good to take safety steps.

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those were in my local LFS yesterday. People like them and buy them. If you don’t feel comfortable dealing with possibility of toxic exposure I’d sell to your local LFS and get some other zoas that have a higher chance of not containing poison.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like anything else, be smart. Don't cut them into bit, don't slice them with a razor, don't rub your eyes or lick your fingers after you have handled them ... but then WHY WOULD YOU ANYWAY, right? That would be a Homer Simpson move, mistaking them for donuts.
I'm personally a glove supporter in tanks anyway.
I think they are lovely - it's a nice rock. Enjoy!! (and stay away from those donuts)
Homer Simpson Eating GIF

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh... I act like all zoas are crazy toxic. Doesn’t mean I won’t keep them. Just make sure you account for safety when messing with your tank. Aka gloves. If your taking zoas out of the tank or fragging. Gloves, goggles and a surgical mask.

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think more LFS need to mention it to newcomers to the hobby. I heard a conversation the other day when a new person in the hobby didn’t have a clue and purchased some toxic green zoas. Not a word was said until I brought it up to him. He mentioned he was going to take off plug and frag it more. I just told him to be careful and possibilities of toxic exposure. I’m sure dude Duck Duck Go’ed that when he got home. LOL!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Be careful... Those babies will grow on your sand bed and spread. I love the way they look in my tank - glowing bright baby blue - but I went from a frag of 5 to about 55 in a little over two months. I gave a friend at work about 20 of them a little over a month ago and we're back to around 40 in my tank already. I even have some that have attached to the glass on their own separate from the colony.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Be careful... Those babies will grow on your sand bed and spread. I love the way they look in my tank - glowing bright baby blue - but I went from a frag of 5 to about 55 in a little over two months. I gave a friend at work about 20 of them a little over a month ago and we're back to around 40 in my tank already. I even have some that have attached to the glass on their own separate from the colony.

See the bottom of my tank...yes, I know my tank is chaotic and messy...
IMG_20210508_173212812~2.jpg

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think more LFS need to mention it to newcomers to the hobby. I heard a conversation the other day when a new person in the hobby didn’t have a clue and purchased some toxic green zoas. Not a word was said until I brought it up to him. He mentioned he was going to take off plug and frag it more. I just told him to be careful and possibilities of toxic exposure. I’m sure dude Duck Duck Go’ed that when he got home. LOL!
I was just talking to a reefer yesterday on R2R who bought his first coral (won’t be name dropping). He called it a polyp, and he was extremely excited. (He’s 15). He didn’t realize polyps were just what they sold them by, “per polyp” Looked super green like this one, told him that it was a zoa and they could possibly be toxic, as well as what precautions to take. Crazy the LFS didn’t even tell a 15 year old to be careful.

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just talking to a reefer yesterday on R2R who bought his first coral (won’t be name dropping). He called it a polyp, and he was extremely excited. (He’s 15). He didn’t realize polyps were just what the sold them by. Looked super green like this one, told him that it was a zoa and they could possibly be toxic, as well as what precautions to take. Crazy the LFS didn’t even tell a 15 year old to be careful.
Right? To many just want to make a sell and I guess they figure it would scare some money away. But everyone should do their own research before putting something in your tank.

OP
OP
Lex_510

Lex_510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those were in my local LFS yesterday. People like them and buy them. If you don’t feel comfortable dealing with possibility of toxic exposure I’d sell to your local LFS and get some other zoas that have a higher chance of not containing poison.
So these being green zoas they’re toxic? Others color ones are not?

OP
OP
Lex_510

Lex_510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like anything else, be smart. Don't cut them into bit, don't slice them with a razor, don't rub your eyes or lick your fingers after you have handled them ... but then WHY WOULD YOU ANYWAY, right? That would be a Homer Simpson move, mistaking them for donuts.
I'm personally a glove supporter in tanks anyway.
I think they are lovely - it's a nice rock. Enjoy!! (and stay away from those donuts)
Homer Simpson Eating GIF
LOL thanks

OP
OP
Lex_510

Lex_510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did u take em off the rock?

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So these being green zoas they’re toxic? Others color ones are not?
No, don’t go by that. I’ve looked up some scientific journals when peeps studied and found out that specimen did contain Palytoxin, a lot were green or brown. Rastas and let’s say Sunny D’s I would guess have less of a chance that gene in that sub species would not contain Polytoxin..(I could definitely be wrong, use caution) but Big Green Paly Serial Killers might. Here is a good article I read and a pic of some similar traits that are known in toxic sub species.
Be safe Reefers!
BD

BB82B670-F360-4205-AAE1-B99266CAB93B.jpeg

Samanthabea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colors are indicators not guarantees just like in wild land animals some mimic while others are truly deadly

OP
OP
Lex_510

Lex_510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just talking to a reefer yesterday on R2R who bought his first coral (won’t be name dropping). He called it a polyp, and he was extremely excited. (He’s 15). He didn’t realize polyps were just what they sold them by, “per polyp” Looked super green like this one, told him that it was a zoa and they could possibly be toxic, as well as what precautions to take. Crazy the LFS didn’t even tell a 15 year old to be careful.
I think it’s a shame if the LFS for not educating a child, I wonder how many ppl this happens to

Samanthabea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many we knew we had bought zoas but the store labeled them a common polyp

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS's don't tell people simply because these forums make it sound way worse then it really is.

We have been keeping zoas and palys in the hobby for decades, yes thats decades(20+ years). And yet palytoxin has only blown up in the last 5 or so years. Wonder why that is? Oh yeah! because mainstream media got ahold of one stupid reefer who actually boiled his rock, causing the toxin to become airborne.

Use a little common sense(yes I know we have to protect the stupid from themselves these days, and common sense is dead), and palytoxin is not a concern.

It really isn't that big of a concern. Least not the concern these forums and many others make it out to be.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back