Pom Pom crabs with Sexy shrimps Safe?

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Sexy shrimps safe to keep with Pom pom crabs? What are the chances of Pom pom crabs attacking a healthy Sexy shrimp?
I got some Sexy shrimps and Pom pom crabs in my tank. It was mainly the Sexy shrimps before and the Pom poms are fairly new to the tank.
I've read the pom poms are quite peaceful but I got the impression they are more aggressive than I had expected them to be. It's not like I have solid proof though.
One time, I saw a Pom pom eat another Pom pom. Sure that might've been a dead or dying Pom pom but I can't know for sure. Another time I saw a Pom pom quick jump toward a Sexy shrimp. The Sexy jumped back so nothing happened. It could have just been the Pom pom just scaring the sexy away but I fear it might have been an attempt to hunt. Sexys are faster but if the pom poms actually are actively hunting, they could ambush and they are clearly stronger so I'm a little worried. I really don't want my sexys hunted and also want to put more sexy shrimps in the feature.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen any aggression between my sexy shrimp and pom pom crabs. The pom pom crabs can sometimes put up a surprisingly threatening display to keep other inverts away, but more something to laugh about. I have seen pics/video lately of pom pom tearing into bristleworms, though...

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen any aggression between my sexy shrimp and pom pom crabs. The pom pom crabs can sometimes put up a surprisingly threatening display to keep other inverts away, but more something to laugh about. I have seen pics/video lately of pom pom tearing into bristleworms, though...
Thanks for the input. I guess I was just paranoid judging the pom poms without any solid evidence.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any evidence suggesting they wouldn't be safe.

Pom pom's defense is the anemones, which sexy shrimp are immune to. It basically walking around with mini tasers to either seem less enticing to fish or potentially injure the fish with a sting.

Personally, idk what exactly this would threaten besides maybe other corals or nems as everything seems pretty tolerant of the anemones, but I heard if you touch them some species of those pom poms can be a nasty sting.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on the Pom Pom. I got a few from reef cleaners last week. One of the three was huge, and I paired it with a smaller one in a new 5 gallon bowl. I actually noticed the crab lunge at one of the fish, and I instantly knew this pom pom wasnt going to be the super friendly inhabitant described online. I looked more and found there are a few horror stories of an evil/rogue killing Pom Pom. I think most are pretty docile though looking at testimonies and experience, and MOST wont kill sexys. The other two are super small, rarely move much, and seem afraid of anything passing them. They follow more of the pattern of personality I have heard of, and I think if spot fed wont ever be a problem (I hope!)

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on the Pom Pom. I got a few from reef cleaners last week. One of the three was huge, and I paired it with a smaller one in a new 5 gallon bowl. I actually noticed the crab lunge at one of the fish, and I instantly knew this pom pom wasnt going to be the super friendly inhabitant described online. I looked more and found there are a few horror stories of an evil/rogue killing Pom Pom. I think most are pretty docile though looking at testimonies and experience, and MOST wont kill sexys. The other two are super small, rarely move much, and seem afraid of anything passing them. They follow more of the pattern of personality I have heard of, and I think if spot fed wont ever be a problem (I hope!)
The one I found eating another pom pom was pretty big compared to other pom poms I have and that's the one I was worried about. Can't remember if it's the one that lunged at the shrimp. I'll be on the lookout to see if it does anything funny.
What have you done with your thug Pom Pom?

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I found eating another pom pom was pretty big compared to other pom poms I have and that's the one I was worried about. Can't remember if it's the one that lunged at the shrimp. I'll be on the lookout to see if it does anything funny.
What have you done with your thug Pom Pom?
I think maybe the larger males (or females?) are probably more likely to be aggressive thus backing our negative experiences with the larger ones. It seems common this way with crabs in general. Most hobbyists completely avoid male emerald crabs for example.

Well although the Nano is only a 5 gallon - I think getting this green banded goby out of here would be impossible without taking each piece of rock out. So for now I am just going to feed the tank well, target feed the pom poms, and hope for the best. I wont add anything else other than corals - that was my original plan anyway.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ever try to catch a sexy shrimp? Those little guys are FAST! If a Pom Pom were to attack, the sexy shrimp could easily get away from it.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I shouldn't have worried after all. These guys/girls don't really care about each other. Maybe they needed some time to get used to one another.
IMG_20230427_003654.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back