Poma Labs Conspic and Blue Line Angels…..So excited!

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are stock photos as I didn’t want to spook them by taking photos just yet but couldn’t contain my excitement and had to share. These are my early additions to new Red Sea Reefer 3xl 900-240g semi reef aquarium set up. Matt from Poma Labs is incredible. He knows his fish, they are very hardy and he follows up all the time to ensure they are doing well. Can’t say enough great things about him and his tank bred beauties! Worth every penny!! Merry Christmas to me!

D2242921-FEA3-4064-8146-0931057CBADD.png C449CF7A-8823-43CF-AF68-277DB753024C.jpeg

Last edited:

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations! Both are amazing fish, but my favorite is the conspic!
@pathot984 how big has yours gotten in those 2 years?
Approx 1.5” and his coloring and marking has really come through.

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are stock photos as I didn’t want to spook them by taking photos just yet but couldn’t contain my excitement and had to share. These are my early additions to new Red Sea Reefer 3xl 900-240g semi reef aquarium set up. Matt from Poma Labs is incredible. He knows his fish, they are very hardy and he follows up all the time to ensure they are doing well. Can’t say enough great things about him and his tank bred beauties! Worth every penny!! Merry Christmas to me!

D2242921-FEA3-4064-8146-0931057CBADD.png C449CF7A-8823-43CF-AF68-277DB753024C.jpeg
Beautiful!!! Love Conspics and Bluelines!!! Bluelines are slow growers mine only grew maybe 11/2 in 2 years.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the expected max size of Blue Lines and Conspic in captivity? Has anyone seen them reach the full 9-10”?
blue lines actually supposedly grow up to 12 inches in the wild. From what I’ve heard few attain that length in captivity but I have seen 8/9 inches wild caught ones. Not sure about Poma captive bred. I’ve never seen or known anyone personally who’s had a conspic but have seen on YouTube some who look to be close to full size of 9/10 inches.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the expected max size of Blue Lines and Conspic in captivity? Has anyone seen them reach the full 9-10”?
9.6” is estimated by me but I think they probably stay closer to 6” since they’re such slow growers.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I’ve had my Poma blueline for 2 years and its still small. Definitely a slow grower. Would love to have one of his conspics but they aren’t cheap.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen sources of 9-10” for Blue Lines, not sure where the 12” is from. FishBase says just shy of 9”, Scott W.Michael says 10”.
From liveaquaria. But i seems they are a bit confused as wild caught Blue lines they list as max size 8” while tank bred is 1’. Up to 10” Is likely more accurate so will go with that from now on…..

B7C552AD-A054-44FA-9CCC-40FD0B6222F8.png

Last edited:

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah…. With Majestic Angels I have also seen maximum sizes anywhere from 10” to 12” (11” according to FishBase, but many other sources say 10”), and with Regal Angels 10” seems to be the most common figure. I think for most people we’d be hard pressed to see a Regal get above 8” though, maybe it’s the same with most Blue Line males.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah…. With Majestic Angels I have also seen maximum sizes anywhere from 10” to 12” (11” according to FishBase, but many other sources say 10”), and with Regal Angels 10” seems to be the most common figure. I think for most people we’d be hard pressed to see a Regal get above 8” though, maybe it’s the same with most Blue Line males.
I’ve always wondered this, how do you sex angels that aren’t the scribbled (I think scribbled angels are sexed through the scribbled pattern? Correct me if I’m wrong). I keep thinking there’s no possible way to sex them much like the tangs.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People mention differences in gill spines for large angels and round vs sharp / jagged fins for dwarfs, and I think a few dwarfs might actually exhibit some degree of sexual dichromatism, but I think unless it’s the trained eye it won’t be easy to tell for most species. What we do know is that just about all are hermaphrodites capable of changing sex, so common wisdom has it get 2 juveniles or 1 bigger and 1 smaller and have them sort it out. Larger one becomes the male.

Genicanthus are capable of sex change but are also one of the few genuses that exhibit very clear sexual dichromatism. Males and females have very different color patterns.

If it were left to me I’d assume any angel that’s medium to large for its reported max size is a male or about to become a male and if I got that one as a single specimen I’d only try to pair it with a smaller one that’s noticeably smaller. This is if I can’t go the juvenile route. As for a trio / harem, I’m not quite sure but from what I’ve read it’s not too hard for a bonded male / female pair to accept a new smaller (female) fish after some investigating and chasing. However I would prefer establishing a trio ideally by introducing three smaller fish, if possible (and ideally) one slightly larger than the other two.

I just love angels….. I don’t think the average tank (even ones on the large side, unless we’re talking very large tanks) gives enough space for each female angel (for dwarfs) the space to form a territory and truly replicate a medium to large harem. Some of these angels can be found in harems of 5-7 in the wild but I think the average tank can’t safely hold more than a trio in most cases. I did read about a guy who tried six Flame Angels and there were problems with a dominant female that became a male and they split into 2 groups of 3 for a while. Surprisingly the second male changed back into female because the first male was a lot more dominant, but eventually he ended up moving 3/6 and said the Flames were much happier as a trio than as a group of six. They only started spawning when they were down to a trio. It’s also an issue of how many females the male can control and I guess have the energy to mate with.

I’ve been doing research on large angels and it seems that some species form small groups as well as pairs, but IMO anything more than a pair would require a very large and wide tank.

C. Resplendens prefers to form small groups rather than strictly form pairs or small harems, but we all know how accessible they are. xD

Last edited:

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I can’t say it was my doing. Just got her comfortable enough. Black out the tank, jailed any aggressors, Etc.

I asked Matt what they feed:

“We have been feeding otohime pellets, Spirulina flakes, grated frozen squid and a home made gel food.”

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back