PONDERING HALIDES LAST GASP and subsequent time travel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So, this week I had to make a serious decision. A crossroad was upon me. I have been running three 250 watt halides still. Two on 400-watt ballast set to 250 super lumens, and one 250 set to “hqi”. Well, it took me way too long to notice, but the 250 had really dimmed out. Finally got my par meter out and was only seeing a dismal 100-ish at the surface. So the thinking process began…

Do I try to get another 400 watt selectable, and keep things the way they were? Or maybe I should bump up to all 400-watt bulbs, as I wasn’t seeing the best par on the other two anyway. I think that the electronic ballast in luminarc reflectors was not really delivering like I was wanting anyway.

You see, I had always run the Iwasaki's on m-80 250 watt ballasts, which would overdrive them to around 350 and they were super bright and had a ton of “punch”. I still accredit some of my best coloration ever to this “punch” curly anecdotal of course.

Anyway.

Ultimately I was faced with the decision on whether or not I actually want to invest more money in equipment that I will inevitably be forced to abandon, as the equipment itself is fast becoming even harder to get or altogether nonexistent. I had Carlos and company digging deep in their warehouses for a 400-watt ballast and a few Reeflux 10ks for me to no avail. And even begged the guys at BRS to blow out for me their last bunch of 400 watt Iwasaki's, before settling down and realizing what I had to do. After a long day of pondering exactly that, just what was I going to do here? I came up with this unceremoniously nostalgic but pragmatic solution.

I dusted off my REALLY rusty (seriously, I should have done a before and after) old M-80s, and 3 Lumenbrite reflectors (a par powerhouse combination) and spent a couple of days "back in time." Rewiring mogul sockets, and "conaptors" and big clunky hardware timers. Attaching bulb brackets to freshly shined but forever smeared reflectors. Loving every bittersweet second as I re-set up the halide system that had always worked so well for me. The only reason I didn’t run the M-80s was purely out of efficiency. While they drive the Iwasaki's really good and "hot", was not the most efficient option. You see, there are two approaches with regard to gear, to running a prop system. One, is just use as many pumps, lights etc, as possible with little or no concern for efficiency to maximize yield. This will lead to higher costs but certainly works. Or, one can take a bit more efficient approach and weigh out all combinations of consumption, light spread, par, etc, to best balance effectiveness and efficiency. With the new set up I took the efficiency route mostly while still trying to maximize whenever I can. For example. Running 250 watt Iwasaki 65k in Lumenbrite reflectors to achieve roughly the same par as I did with 400 watt 10K in Luminarcs. Sacrificing spread with the 250s only a little and shaving daily consumption just barely enough to make me feel better about it. Splitting hairs perhaps but I applied this line of thinking to the entire setup. And for the most part, it has been excellent. I mean a 600.00 electric bill could easily be double that if taking the first approach. The only place I really compromised was on my ballast selection going with electronic and putting the m-80s in the closet. Till now.

IMG_0419.jpeg

So I know this is kind of a scattered and a bit boring of a read. Really more just me putting my thought process, "stream of conscious" style on-screen. But, in case you are wondering where am I at with all of this at this point? Just where did I land after my introspective week? I'll tell you. Simply put, I have 9 more 65k bulbs. When the time comes that I have burned up my last bulb, roughly 3 years from now. I will absolutely be turning off the halides for good, maybe...

Lumenbrite magic. Back to 750 par at the surface dry, at over 30 inches above the waterline!

IMG_0417.jpeg
IMG_0418.jpeg

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still love the look of Iwasaki bulbs. I have a couple brand new ones actually. Just need to get around to setting up a tank to put them over. I've been kinda hoarding metal halide components lately. As I feel the same as you, they won't be around forever.

I do still run a halide over my tank in fact. Lumen Arc mini reflector with Phoenix 14k bulb and an Ice Cap selectable ballast. Don't care much for the ballast actually. Going swap it out for a M-80 ballast this weekend to see if I notice a difference.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my offer still stands my friend !!! As long as am in the hobby , you will never GO BALLASTLESS !

If anyone interested , I have an aqua medic ballast used by the Great Adam @Battlecorals and bidding starts at only 5999$ . That’s right !!!

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a cool look into your setup. You run things from home or a separate building?

Perhaps this link will help answer that;)

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps this link will help answer that;)
Well there I go. Thank you. it should be a good read. Some people have bats in the attic. Adam has battles in his.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not boring to read for those of us that run metal halides!

Serious question for you.

Have you looked into the Hamilton 6500k bulbs. Or tried one at least to see if they provide comparable par levels?

Or even tried an Eye Hortilux 6500k bulb? They’re still widely available and a lot of people suspect they’re the exact same bulb as the eye iwasaki 6500k bulb in different packaging. Food for thought.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing details on your facility, I always appreciate a look at how the magic is made!

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not boring to read for those of us that run metal halides!

Serious question for you.

Have you looked into the Hamilton 6500k bulbs. Or tried one at least to see if they provide comparable par levels?

Or even tried an Eye Hortilux 6500k bulb? They’re still widely available and a lot of people suspect they’re the exact same bulb as the eye iwasaki 6500k bulb in different packaging. Food for thought.

I've been wondering if those bulbs were the same myself. I'm wondering if they just relabeled the same bulb to appeal to other markets. I have one and when I light it next a Iwasaki, it really looks identical to me by eye.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wondering if those bulbs were the same myself. I'm wondering if they just relabeled the same bulb to appeal to other markets. I have one and when I light it next a Iwasaki, it really looks identical to me by eye.

If they’re the same visually and provide reasonably similar par I would assume them to be the same bulb. I wonder if they’d be able to actually verify that through an email

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If they’re the same visually and provide reasonably similar par I would assume them to be the same bulb. I wonder if they’d be able to actually verify that through an email

Well, the thing is, I had been getting my bulbs directly from EYE lighting, and as of about 6 months ago they officially discontinued that lamp. However many ways it was packaged, it won't be manufactured anymore. When 9 got my last 9 they had like 27 left.

either way, I think in another three years ill be ready to let go lol

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never ran metal halide but after 9yrs of leds I’m about to. Soon I’ll be running a 72” spectra which is no longer in production. I’ll also be using m80 ballast which I’m completely clueless about even after hours of sifting though threads. I sure hope MH sticks around a bit longer. I want a chance to see what the talk has been about for so many years.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep all my old halide gear and have a few new bulbs, 20K I believe. Loved them except for the energy usage. I might use them again someday.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve never ran metal halide but after 9yrs of leds I’m about to. Soon I’ll be running a 72” spectra which is no longer in production. I’ll also be using m80 ballast which I’m completely clueless about even after hours of sifting though threads. I sure hope MH sticks around a bit longer. I want a chance to see what the talk has been about for so many years.

I'd be lying if I said this post did not make me feel just a little bit old lol. Here's me rambling and reminiscing trying to gain an audience about lighting that I'd bet was never even on the radar of 95% of newer hobbyist (within the last 5-10 years). lol.

In fairness, your post has helped put things into perspective.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im waiting for the fixture that has leds, t5s, and miniture metal halides (like a 75w version) to be made. I would try that.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Im waiting for the fixture that has leds, t5s, and miniture metal halides (like a 75w version) to be made. I would try that.

I'll be honest man, you may have to build this one yourself. I just dont see many, if any companies incorporating halides into any new fixtures. Especially ones with leds already.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back