Poof - he is gone? Yellow Headed Sleeper Golby

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Five days ago, I impulse bought a Yellow Headed Sleeper Goby at my LFS. He was very active and they fed him. The first day in my tank he hid back in the corner next to a snail. I thought - ok, lets give him a few days. The next day at feeding time, he swam out and at some flake food in the morning and some frozen Mysis shrimp in the evening. The third day - he is no where to be found. My tank has a net top but I checked the floor, the tank overflows...nope.

Is he gone or just hiding in the sand/under the rock? Suggestions ?

Aboynamedsous2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not an expert with gobies but when I had one it hid in the sand it could also just be hiding in the rocks. Unless something ate it…

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a common mistake some goby owners make. If your rock isnt touching the bare glass instead resting ontop of the sand when they dig they can collapse the rock ontop of themselves killing them.

Not saying thats what happened but it could be.

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a common mistake some goby owners make. If your rock isnt touching the bare glass instead resting ontop of the sand when they dig they can collapse the rock ontop of themselves killing them.

Not saying thats what happened but it could be.
The rocks are sitting on the glass, and the sand added afterwards. The two main pieces have flat bottom pieces that the rest was built onto.

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can i have a pic of the tank? gobys will find shelter in ur tank under rocks if u have other fish
Full Tank w white light.jpg

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was water change, filter sock clean and empty the skimmer day. Well, as I usually do, I removed the socks, install the new socks, take the old socks out on the patio and blast them with the garden hose watching the dirt float away. Next they go in the wash machine. Well today, the Goby came flying out. I picked him up, tossed him in the aquarium and he is swimming around. He looks skinny but he cannot have been in the sock too long, they were changed on Monday.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 40 32.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back