Poopie or Parasite?

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cousin Derp seems erratic and distressed. There is a long white “poop” hanging out. Tangerine seems to be trying to help.
Is this a parasite? Or is this poopie?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty common in clownfish. It can be inconsequential, or it can be bacterial or protozoan. The fish looks pretty good otherwise, have you had it awhile? Have you changed up their diet recently?
Jay

OP
OP
chadfish

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty common in clownfish. It can be inconsequential, or it can be bacterial or protozoan. The fish looks pretty good otherwise, have you had it awhile? Have you changed up their diet recently?
Jay
Yes I changed their diet after QT (ich). They used to get more variety (mini pellet, flake, frozen on rotation), now I have them strictly on New Life Spectrum Thera A+. The size means less uneaten food, and it seems to have good stuff in it including garlic. This is making me think twice...

They used to be totally chill, and when the power heads went off, they Pavlovian looked for their daily feeding. After a month in QT, they are more jumpy and scared.

otherwise healthy...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I changed their diet after QT (ich). They used to get more variety (mini pellet, flake, frozen on rotation), now I have them strictly on New Life Spectrum Thera A+. The size means less uneaten food, and it seems to have good stuff in it including garlic. This is making me think twice...

They used to be totally chill, and when the power heads went off, they Pavlovian looked for their daily feeding. After a month in QT, they are more jumpy and scared.

otherwise healthy...
NLS foods are pretty good, but the general recommendation is to feed a wider variety. The Thera A is he non-medicated version with just extra garlic, right?
Jay

OP
OP
chadfish

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NLS foods are pretty good, but the general recommendation is to feed a wider variety. The Thera A is he non-medicated version with just extra garlic, right?
Jay
Yes, vitamins and garlic but no medication or probiotics

I plan on feeding fresh frozen seafood like chopped clams and shrimp. I don’t trust the frozen cubes so much.

Thanks for your help
So this may be a parasite but could just be a one-off dietary issue? He went back to being normal after passing it

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, vitamins and garlic but no medication or probiotics

I plan on feeding fresh frozen seafood like chopped clams and shrimp. I don’t trust the frozen cubes so much.

Thanks for your help
So this may be a parasite but could just be a one-off dietary issue? He went back to being normal after passing it
I think it was a one off, but keep watching of course. I’m not a fan of cubes, I worry that they too easily get thawed and refrozen during transport.
Jay

OP
OP
chadfish

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it was a one off, but keep watching of course. I’m not a fan of cubes, I worry that they too easily get thawed and refrozen during transport.
Jay
Right?!!! Same with me. I mean who in the supply chain would care about spoiled fish food? As long as it makes it back into the display freezer for sale.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right?!!! Same with me. I mean who in the supply chain would care about spoiled fish food? As long as it makes it back into the display freezer for sale.
I worked in the pet industry for 10+ years I KNOW the food can get spoiled - we’d just refreeze it....
Jay

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back