Tritie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid siporax in a denitrator - please see here and some pages forward

Sincerely Lasse
I don't have a problem with silicates. In fact, the Siporax has been there for over a year and my silicates were always absent on ICP. That is until I started dosing silicates to force a diatom bloom for a dino problem. It didn't work, I had over 12ppm of silcate for months and no diatoms. I stopped dosing and now my silicates are down to 10.7 with just normal water changes. The siporax is still in there. I am confident in saying it has no significant impact to the amount of silicate in my system.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The siporax is still in there. I am confident in saying it has no significant impact to the amount of silicate in my system.
It is a difference if you have your siporax in aerobic or anaerobic environment. It is also my experiences that siporex in aerobic environment (there is oxygen gas present) will not leak any silicates but in a denitrator ( like the one in this thread) the environment is anaerobic (no oxygen gas present) and in this case - it leaks a lot of silicates - see my ICP tests below

1713096971879.png

Sincerely Lasse

Tritie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a difference if you have your siporax in aerobic or anaerobic environment. It is also my experiences that siporex in aerobic environment (there is oxygen gas present) will not leak any silicates but in a denitrator ( like the one in this thread) the environment is anaerobic (no oxygen gas present) and in this case - it leaks a lot of silicates - see my ICP tests below

1713096971879.png

Sincerely Lasse
Interesting. I'll still give it a shot, but I'll put it in the beginning line-up. Thank you for clarifying this!

stambo3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huge thank you to Mr Donovan for his contribution to our hobby - continue to RIP sir.

I created mines after stumbling onto this thread after I’ve upgraded to my 140g (3’7''x2’4''x2’4'') Coral Reef Aquarium 11 months ago. With a huge fish load and heavy feedings, I’ve climbed to about 100+ nitrates And holding steady there. Fishes are acting fine . So I wanted to keep nitrates down since I can’t do massive water changes (no room for 20 gallons water tanks). I haven't done a water change in 2 months.

So about 3 weeks ago, I put in-line the DND and started dosing MICROBE-LIFT Special Blend 118ml for a week along with 6mL vodka daily . Took about 1 weeks to see the effluent nitrate level drop to 0. Took about 2 weeks to see the nitrate level in the tank dropped to 1-5 ppm and stayed there. I stopped dosing vodka. I only have LPS and soft corals. They weren't happy at first, but when the system settled in, they all began to visibly grow.
Copied part of the text from "Joj" / accept my thanks / because I don't know English and I use Google translator, for which I ask you to forgive.

Attachments

• DND.jpg
    DND.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 5

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.4%
Back