Poor Man's Nutrients Control - Donovan's Nitrate Destroyer

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update day 12
Still the output from reactor is "0" and the test from tank water is between 40 to 25ppm. I think i need more time.
Dosing 12ml splitted to 6 times a day / flow rate 2 drops per second.

IMG_5821.JPG

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try increasing the flow rate to a fine stream?. At 2 drops per second it will take some time to lower the DT nutrients. At faster flow, increase your carbon a bit, maybe 3ml to 4ml.

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try increasing the flow rate to a fine stream?. At 2 drops per second it will take some time to lower the DT nutrients. At faster flow, increase your carbon a bit, maybe 3ml to 4ml.
From today I am going to try by gradually increasing the flow rate, but I am facing one problem now, if i increase the flow rate to a thin stream, water is getting overflow through the dosing hole in the first chamber. I think the Sandwich inside is not enough and the flow is not that even through out.
I hope you wont say me to reload the reactor after removing all the media :oops::oops::oops:

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From today I am going to try by gradually increasing the flow rate, but I am facing one problem now, if i increase the flow rate to a thin stream, water is getting overflow through the dosing hole in the first chamber. I think the Sandwich inside is not enough and the flow is not that even through out.
I hope you wont say me to reload the reactor after removing all the media :oops::oops::oops:

Ooopss. It should not overflow even at higher flow. Any idea of an area prone to clogging? Media too thick somewhere?

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooopss. It should not overflow even at higher flow. Any idea of an area prone to clogging? Media too thick somewhere?
I think its in the first chamber where the sandwich is made less in between siporax and ceramic ring due to short of media. What do you think shall I wait or I have to restructure the reactor after removing all the media. If I have to do that I can do only by next weekend (03 Sep 17) due to some other family commitments :p:p:p any suggestions please....

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siporax is a ring media as well right? Any pumice stones?. Unless the rings are arranged to form a cylinders, I don't think it will clogged.

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siporax is a ring media as well right? Any pumice stones?
You mean pumice stones in the first chamber ? I have put some Matrix in the top and later in the second day I have removed it. But i think may be some 10 to 15 stones still stuck in the top. I will try to check it today.
In the second chamber there are only Matrix filled in between with total 3 layers of bio balls. (Mean layer of matrix and then bio balls and layer of matrix and so on....)

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried clearing the effluent hose? It might be covered with bacteria :D

Not yet I will also do that. But I think re arranging the media is not possible without cutting the second chamber as I have glued the cap of second chamber and I feel the media will not come out from one chamber. Better will be making another reactor or i will give time for my reactor to work in its speed.

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 2" it might be the reason. When layering, look at the media from time to time. Just drop a few rings in there at every 1" of media. That will ensure a proper flow throughout the chambers. A ball or two won't hurt either.

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 2" it might be the reason. When layering, look at the media from time to time. Just drop a few rings in there at every 1" of media. That will ensure a proper flow throughout the chambers. A ball or two won't hurt either.

So Finally I have to remake the reactor for 3rd time and hopefully this time I will make sure to make it better and with enough media to load...

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went "shopping" at my favourite beach during low tide on Sunday. Brought back 4 SPS frags, a striped longspine urchin, a few snails, a fighting conch and orange sponges branching sponges.

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Finally I have to remake the reactor for 3rd time and hopefully this time I will make sure to make it better and with enough media to load...

No gluing is necessary, except the "U" section. Leave the caps as it is so that you can make some changes if you have to.

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, update on my denitrater efforts.
- After a month or two I am not seeing any further reduction in Nitrate, sitting around 16
- Also noticing a decent amount of red/brown slime in my sump and getting into my display via the return pump, think it's cyano, but not outbreak status, skimmer seems to be getting most of it.
- Had an equipment failure last night, Neptune PMUP that I was using to feed the denitrater seems to have shorted. Denitrater was offline for about 16 hours. Replaced the pump and didn't have the valve closed when it powered back on. Water is cloudy and a little sulfuric smelling, likely due to the high flow through the denitrater. PH and ORP dropped, but not severely enough to kill anything.

Not sure if I should scale back or up the NoPox, increase or decrease the flow through the reactors.

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Elgringodiablo, what is your tank size?. What is your reactor size and total length?. Any picture of the reactor?. What is your effluent flow rate? Nopox quantity per day? How many times per day? :D

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When denitrator is down for a few hours, always throw out the effluent for 15 to 30 minutes or until the rotten egg smells fade out.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back