Poor Man's Nutrients Control - Donovan's Nitrate Destroyer

Khaotic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Is that 50" times 2 so 100" total?

Did you use any other media beside this one?

Again, thank you for the quick response!!!!
No its just a single tube for me, i hung it in my stand instead of making a standing one to save room.

All filled with just that one media. My highest nitrate test was 0.25ppm but is usually 0 and previously i wasn't running a skimmer.
26a1455184b567649b618a07f01ce862.jpg

Casey-Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No its just a single tube for me, i hung it in my stand instead of making a standing one to save room.

All filled with just that one media. My highest nitrate test was 0.25ppm but is usually 0 and previously i wasn't running a skimmer.
26a1455184b567649b618a07f01ce862.jpg

Do you have a picture of it installed?
I might be able to accommodate something like that better then the twin tower version.

Khaotic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture of it installed?
I might be able to accommodate something like that better then the twin tower version.
It might take me a minute to find one but if i cant i will take one and post it when i get home. My tank and stand isnt extactly a common setup i have a 4x4ft cube and i built everything myself, tank anf all. I have it hung over my frag tank, and then the short part sticks out over my sump and drains into there.

Casey-Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I snapped two pictures from a messenger video i took, quality is poor but you can see how its set up
811ecd652b92835d8fb67554e0542a69.jpg
dd88a6ed0b56bb2a2e15617e27ea05fe.jpg

Thank you very much.
It took me a minute to figure out the first picture, turn my head clockwise 90 degrees and I get it.

Apparently it does not seem to matter the orientation of the reactor. Also seems you don't need the twin tower layout to have an aerobic and anaerobic section. As long as your flow is slow enough it will be anaerobic by the time the water gets to the end.

Thanks for posting the pictures!

Casey-Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some cheato just hanging out not growing much if at all.
6f427ad9e54edc7d8544a298608b2bdf.jpg

Chaeto never grow in my fuge as well. I do have refugium years ago, the only thing that grows in it is cyano :D

My guess is the Chaeto does not grow well because the reactor is so efficient that there is not enough Nitrate in the water to feed it. Thoughts?

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is the Chaeto does not grow well because the reactor is so efficient that there is not enough Nitrate in the water to feed it. Thoughts?

I was trying to grow chaeto before I designed the nitrate destroyer, and my nitrate was 120ppm and above 0.5ppm PO4 at that time. Probably my lights, or my water chemistry was so bad. I never do water changes since the beginning and still learning about dosing, that might contributed to the chaeto failure.

Khaotic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what im going with. Although i wish it would grow some to eat up on phosphates so i was less dependant on phosguard.

And yes it does not matter if the zones are seperate as long as you have the right length and flow for the oxygen to get used up.

I snapped another picture last night thats clear and properly rotated.

e7626519c5052ef6fe8b848cc469b3b5.jpg

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess there is some truth to the saying "every cloud has a silver lining". After infusing about a pint of vodka by accident into the tank I tested my nitrates and phosphates. Both are at 0 from the tank and the discharge from the reactor. I've never had these levels since I started in the hobby. I put a little AcroPower in the tank today as I don't think 0 nitrates is healthy. Is there anything else I should monitor from this point forward, other than preventing another vodka OD, to tune the reactor?

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the doser is dosing the correct amount daily (one shot or a few smaller one throughout the day), it should be fine. Nitrate will start to climb once the excess bacteria start receding, or you can stop dosing for a few days to let it rise. Extra feeding will help. Test for nitrate daily so that you will know how to fine tune the reactor (flow vs vodka). Good to hear your tank is doing fine :)

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the doser is dosing the correct amount daily (one shot or a few smaller one throughout the day), it should be fine. Nitrate will start to climb once the excess bacteria start receding, or you can stop dosing for a few days to let it rise. Extra feeding will help. Test for nitrate daily so that you will know how to fine tune the reactor (flow vs vodka). Good to hear your tank is doing fine :)

I am very sad and hard to believe that Mr. Donovan has passed away. I have spoke with his wife and she informed me that he has been drowned into the sea while looking for some corals and passed away on 07Jan18. I pray to god that it should not be true and wants him to do more to make this hobby better and for good of his family. Please pray that the message I have got is not true. He is one of the mentor for me and I hope also for more like me.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow
I also hope that’s not true
He was such a lively person

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back