Pop eye or popped eye and what is needed?

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While in hypo for ich, my black tang has somehow popped his eye cover (lense I think it's called) and there now is a hole. After getting home today (I noticed the issue this morning prior to work), it seems to have either have fuse together or just looks plain wrong. Any thoughts on my next steps? BTW, he is still eating strong with everything I offer him and he isn't getting beat on by anyone (he usually does the bully part with the other tangs, but nothing bad). Sorry the pics ain't quality or the best.

IMAG0293.jpg

IMAG0292.jpg

IMAG0291.jpg

IMAG0290.jpg

IMAG0289.jpg

FF337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible it can return to normal without adding stuff to it. Feed it often with seaweed sheets and/or macro algae

Occassionally I feed my purple tang and kole tang a pinch of chaetomorpha attached to a clip. They chomp it down like twizzlers.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible it can return to normal without adding stuff to it. Feed it often with seaweed sheets and/or macro algae

Occassionally I feed my purple tang and kole tang a pinch of chaetomorpha attached to a clip. They chomp it down like twizzlers.

Good luck.

Thanks. I'm hoping for it to return too.

Country boy using tapatalk on a HTC Evo

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have this odd situation?

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping for anymore idea's.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, my black gang's eye seems to have completely healed the tear/hole. Now it appears as a bubble cover (trying to decide a good description word). At this point I'm hoping it just slowly reduces back to normal. He still sees fine and eats great. Glad it really didn't turn into ''real'' pop eye or effect his vision.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear its getting better.

Both times I've done hypo, I ended up with a fish that had popeye, not sure why. Could be completely coincidence, but I thought it was odd that both times it happened. First time was a Lamarks angel that didn't make it, but I found out too late that it was being bullied.

Second one was in my display, and my Thompson's Tang got it. I continued to feed as normal, Mysis/Pacific Plankton soaked in Selcon(sometimes) and I feed nori once or twice a day...although he rarely partakes except when its in the water column. After a few weeks, it went back to normal and he's as good as before now.

I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences with hypo and whether they experienced popeye with the treatment.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much appreciated and glad to hear I'm not the only one in this boat and glad all is good on your end.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update for those that might be viewing. My black tang's eye is almost (hopefully) healed back to normal, except now the eye appears to have a air bubble in it! Hopefully the bubble just absorbs soon.

StReNuOuS BiOmArKeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only times i have had this happen was like bt said with salinity change or a drastic change in nitrates from previous home to next. i always use seachem focus and metronidazol when introducing new fish or if someone comes down with something. i add it to my food during defrost in a cup, i uses a base ratio of 2:1 and go heavier if i feel the need. if he is eating you have already one half the battle. just keep him fat and make sure your water chems are good, mostly lower nitrate, and he will be good in time. hopes this helps i have been using metro and focus in my reef for over 5 years

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only times i have had this happen was like bt said with salinity change or a drastic change in nitrates from previous home to next. i always use seachem focus and metronidazol when introducing new fish or if someone comes down with something. i add it to my food during defrost in a cup, i uses a base ratio of 2:1 and go heavier if i feel the need. if he is eating you have already one half the battle. just keep him fat and make sure your water chems are good, mostly lower nitrate, and he will be good in time. hopes this helps i have been using metro and focus in my reef for over 5 years

Thanks. Yeah he has no issues with eating or controlling his 3 different pieces of pvc. All water chems are good too. Just hoping for the best.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep up the good fight man. Keep feeding well, soaking the food in additives, and keep that water quality up....

We're all rooting for you :)

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back