Popeye?- Blue Jaw Trigger

TheShepherdTrio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have had this female blue jaw trigger for 2.5 weeks. She’s been in the QT dosed with coppersafe but today I noticed her left eye looking like this, her right one still appears normal. Is this popeye? Is there a treatment for it? If not popeye, what else? Other than her eye looking like this, she’s been doing fine. She eats really well and is swimming just fine. No other abnormalities on her body that I’ve been able to see. I wasn’t able to get the best photos so I hope these will suffice.
BD13309F-1189-4300-AA8E-24429A44230A.jpeg
9941509B-4DC4-40E9-A1E4-C0CB67F57EC4.jpeg

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral beauty had something similar happen to its eye for a couple days in my display tank. I think it rubbed it on a rock or sand or something and irritated the eye.

But anyway I did nothing to treat it and it healed on its own in a couple days.

Not saying 100% its the same thing but it did look very similar to what is going on with the eye of your trigger

ilovehorses52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have had this female blue jaw trigger for 2.5 weeks. She’s been in the QT dosed with coppersafe but today I noticed her left eye looking like this, her right one still appears normal. Is this popeye? Is there a treatment for it? If not popeye, what else? Other than her eye looking like this, she’s been doing fine. She eats really well and is swimming just fine. No other abnormalities on her body that I’ve been able to see. I wasn’t able to get the best photos so I hope these will suffice.
Yeah I think it’s most likely Popeye I don’t k is much on the subject so I don’t think I would be much help

clifg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Chalk Bass with a similar condition that didn't really heal and he lost the eye. Even with just one eye he's still doing great, though.

Jezzess77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as czoolander I have a coral beauty that had the same thing happen to it when i treated copper. it healed over a week and half and hasnt had a problem since, just dont try catch it in a net until the eye goes back to normal i did that while my beautys eye was starting to get better and the nett mustve rubbed on it because it started to swell again befor it went back down

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How, @DogMom09 how did this turn out?

I have a blue jaw trigger with huge gnarly popeye. It appeared months ago, looked like it was going down but then grew big again. I've never treated it because I figure it's an injury, not disease, from triggers wedging themselves in the rockwork as this one likes to do (bulging popeye in first). The fish eats fine and behaves normally.

However, now I'm wondering if I should find a way to treat it because I'd like to sell the dang thing. I suspect him of eating my cleaner shrimps and probably snacks on my snails. So much for invert-safe triggers. So basically I want to treat the eye so I'll have an easier time selling it. Curious if yours went down and after how much time.

Thanks.

Edited to add pics. These are from a few months ago, before I took care of the hair algae problem. Eye doesn't look quite as bas now as in the pictures, but pretty bad.
1641589899916.png
1641589967913.png

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back