Popeye Harlequin Tusk in QT

nldemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Looking for pop eye pointers for my Harlequin tusk. He is in QT for about 6 days now. I've kept multiple over time, as well plenty of other fish, this is my first to ever show pop eye. Maybe before I was just lucky?

Either way, I'm looking into treatments now and it seems most are just to let it wait and treat with clean water.

I had actually started another thread asking about him being so lethargic, but I think I figured out what that was about now.

Image.jpeg popeye.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to avoid handling the fish in a net or anything - many cases of popeye are caused or made worse by mechanical damage. Some of these cases get better on their own. If you want to treat, the best medication seems to by erythromycin (Maracyn 1). If you want to delve into this further, here is a link to an article I wrote on fish eye issues:

Jay

OP
OP
nldemo

nldemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to avoid handling the fish in a net or anything - many cases of popeye are caused or made worse by mechanical damage. Some of these cases get better on their own. If you want to treat, the best medication seems to by erythromycin (Maracyn 1). If you want to delve into this further, here is a link to an article I wrote on fish eye issues:

Jay
Thanks Jay, had just found your article and already working my way through. I know both Maracyn 1 and 2 advertise popeye on the box ( i have both, but of course expired so will order new). You recommend only 1 though?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay, had just found your article and already working my way through. I know both Maracyn 1 and 2 advertise popeye on the box ( i have both, but of course expired so will order new). You recommend only 1 though?
Correct, Maracyn 2 is minocycline and less useful against eye diseases.
Jay

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back