Porcupine puffer bloated

tiabakshi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have a porcupine puffer that looks like this now (obviously not normal) and I’m not sure what to do !! We think he may have swallowed some air and read that we need to burp him out of water ? Does anyone have any advice ?

810E82DB-E553-4385-BECE-C0065B89CADF.jpeg

OP
OP
T

tiabakshi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water chemistry looks good other than nitrate a little higher than usual. Doing a water change now but I don’t think it’s the issue. I also don’t know if this is a male or female so it may have eggs ?

OP
OP
T

tiabakshi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: not eating (which he’s NEVER DONE BEFORE) and seems even larger than this morning

4C04D369-5337-4E02-A3C2-4BCB1F80AABF.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
a SIGN OF STRESS AND LIKELY WATER QUALITY RELATED . . . . . . Eggs ??? OMG

Anyway, I am assuming and have a hunch this is a new tank, and puffer should not be placed in a tank under 4-6 months. Now that you have the fish, lets manage it.
What is your water temperature, salinity and size of tank ?
Eliminate the possibility of air, , , simply by netting it and holding net out of water for about a minute. It may or will inflate and deflate once back in water.
Have you noticed if has pooped and if poop is brownish or White?
If ammonia has climbed, do a water change and then add A double dose of prime which could help your fish feel more comfortable short term if ammonia was an issue as well as use of amquel for its' water that you add to tank.

OP
OP
T

tiabakshi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a SIGN OF STRESS AND LIKELY WATER QUALITY RELATED . . . . . . Eggs ??? OMG

Anyway, I am assuming and have a hunch this is a new tank, and puffer should not be placed in a tank under 4-6 months. Now that you have the fish, lets manage it.
What is your water temperature, salinity and size of tank ?
Eliminate the possibility of air, , , simply by netting it and holding net out of water for about a minute. It may or will inflate and deflate once back in water.
Have you noticed if has pooped and if poop is brownish or White?
If ammonia has climbed, do a water change and then add A double dose of prime which could help your fish feel more comfortable short term if ammonia was an issue as well as use of amquel for its' water that you add to tank.

The tank has been up and running since the new year. There are 3 other puffers in the tank. I got him about 2 months ago and he has had a great personality, eating well, only started to look bloated this morning. He was perfectly fine last night. The tank is 300 gallons. The water chemistry read well but the nitrate is a bit higher. Between 40 and 80 ppm. The temperature of the tank is 81°. The salinity is 28 ppt. Tried the net thing and it didn’t work but I did see 2 bubbles come out around him before we pulled him out. Haven’t exactly seen him poop but he’s still refusing to eat. All the other fish in the tank (including puffers) are still eating and acting normal.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for answering questions.
As mentioned with water quality, nitrates a bit high and water change will help.”
temperature is a bit warm and ice oacks in the sump would help cool tank down.
Salt is also low. Bring up to 32ppt minimum.
With these changes, i will bet it begins to eat

OP
OP
T

tiabakshi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE SHE WAS PREGNANT !!! While trying to burp we thought she was constipated since the butt was so open and she shot out these tiny circles !!

OP
OP
T

tiabakshi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for answering questions.
As mentioned with water quality, nitrates a bit high and water change will help.”
temperature is a bit warm and ice oacks in the sump would help cool tank down.
Salt is also low. Bring up to 32ppt minimum.
With these changes, i will bet it begins to eat
Thanks so much for everything !! By any chance do you know if we can breed by putting the small porcupine puffer with the eggs in the breeder box ? It’s only an inch so juvenile but I’m not quite sure if it’s possible.

41C60DD0-EC38-43C2-81FB-6544E611DC2D.jpeg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
To date, I don’t believe there has been successful breeding of porcupine puffer in captivity, but there is always a first case

nkarisny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has been up and running since the new year. There are 3 other puffers in the tank. I got him about 2 months ago and he has had a great personality, eating well, only started to look bloated this morning. He was perfectly fine last night. The tank is 300 gallons. The water chemistry read well but the nitrate is a bit higher. Between 40 and 80 ppm. The temperature of the tank is 81°. The salinity is 28 ppt. Tried the net thing and it didn’t work but I did see 2 bubbles come out around him before we pulled him out. Haven’t exactly seen him poop but he’s still refusing to eat. All the other fish in the tank (including puffers) are still eating and acting normal.
i keep mine at 34.5 that way when water evaporates the salinity doesn't go above 35 and temp should be more like 78.

Justanano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see the people who didn't believe it could be eggs...everyone is so quick to dip and treat not knowing exactly what is the solution is or what the problem can be

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back