Porcupine puffer ich or flukes?

Daoz126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best pics i can get but it seems like he has little white spots on the fins and thicker bulky salt like balls towards rge back tail. Him and my dogface puffer seem to be the only ones in the tank with them but the dogface only has them on the fins I have a hospital tank ready to set up or I can use it to give them a freshwater dip what you guys think
Snapchat-945952754.jpeg
Snapchat-1958824058.jpeg

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do a fw dip and see if anything comes off. if so you probably have flukes on your hand and should treat with prazi. if nothing comes off its probably ich and should be treated with chelated copper, raise the levels of copper slowly over like a week period. On the fins it looks like ich can't tell whats going on towards the back where the spikes are but that might be from his spikes and not a disease

OP
OP
Daoz126

Daoz126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do a fw dip and see if anything comes off. if so you probably have flukes on your hand and should treat with prazi. if nothing comes off its probably ich and should be treated with chelated copper, raise the levels of copper slowly over like a week period. On the fins it looks like ich can't tell whats going on towards the back where the spikes are but that might be from his spikes and not a disease
So if he has something wouldn't the rest of the fish in the tank have it too?

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if he has something wouldn't the rest of the fish in the tank have it too?

Not necessarily.. My dory gets ick all the time, gets rid of it and my other fish are fine.. I'm a puffer guy... Love all them.. I think flukes. It looks flaky.. Ick is more white dots.. Imo...

OP
OP
Daoz126

Daoz126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily.. My dory gets ick all the time, gets rid of it and my other fish are fine.. I'm a puffer guy... Love all them.. I think flukes. It looks flaky.. Ick is more white dots.. Imo...
So it will go away on its own?

OP
OP
Daoz126

Daoz126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do freshwater dip... Looks like flukes me....I guess I was trying to answer two questions there...
I'ma give him a freshwater dip when I get home. My question is since one of them has it wouldn't the other fish in my tank get it or it doesn't spread

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the other fish won't get it. Porcupine puffers are magnets for things like Ich. So I've seen them have ich nothing else show any symptoms. I'd treat the whole tank if possible personally because if you qt just to put him back into the display tank he'll probably get whatever it just again

OP
OP
Daoz126

Daoz126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the other fish won't get it. Porcupine puffers are magnets for things like Ich. So I've seen them have ich nothing else show any symptoms. I'd treat the whole tank if possible personally because if you qt just to put him back into the display tank he'll probably get whatever it just again
I did a freshwater dip when I got home and nothing seem to come off him local fish shop recommended me to do a 1hr dip with paraguard or quarantine him with paraguard dosing until bacteria removed

PeytonRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since we are on the topic of FW dipping puffers and I haven’t been able to nail down a firm answer as to how to treat my spiny box puffer, does anyone have any suggestions for my case? All parameters are good. FOWLR 220. Everyone in the tank is eating and appears healthy. My puffer has developed this worm on his eye over the last couple of days.
E4214727-90F3-429F-9F7E-A3E5FD97EDDD.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back