Porcupine puffer in a 40 breeder

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know porcupine puffers get pretty big but I was wondering what your guys thought about buying a juvenile porcupine and only housing it for about a year and a half inside a 40 breeder. Would this be do able?

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They grow fastest in the first two years in my experience. Even a three inch one will hit six inches inside of two years. He’d probably bo ok in a 75 but a 40 I think would become way too small very fast.

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They grow fastest in the first two years in my experience. Even a three inch one will hit six inches inside of two years. He’d probably bo ok in a 75 but a 40 I think would become way too small very fast.
It would only be in there for 1.5 years at the very most. Would that still outgrow the tank in that amount of time? I know there are smaller puffers but I love the personality of the porcupines

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would only be in there for 1.5 years at the very most. Would that still outgrow the tank in that amount of time? I know there are smaller puffers but I love the personality of the porcupines
They absolutely have the best personalities of all the puffers. And I completely understand the desire to want one. I just couldn't recommend putting one in a 40 for more than a few months. Mine swims back and forth the length of the tank all the time. Then there's the waste they produce. Not what you want to hear but a larger tank really is required.

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They absolutely have the best personalities of all the puffers. And I completely understand the desire to want one. I just couldn't recommend putting one in a 40 for more than a few months. Mine swims back and forth the length of the tank all the time. Then there's the waste they produce. Not what you want to hear but a larger tank really is required.
Ya I kinda figured this would be the answer. Just gonna have to settle for one of the smaller ones lol. Thanks

Justin_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, mine was over 7” at a year and would have gone insane in a 40. It would be cruel. Not to mention it would be hard to keep water clean. Even my 180 is hard to keep water quality good with how much the puffer eats.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back