porcupine puffer in a reef tank

strange33w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondered if anyone has kept one in a reef tank. I had one in a fish only system before and he was awsome and would like to get one again . I know they like to eat shrimp and snails some times but I have also read they might go after clams and I do plan to have a few maximas in my up and coming tank. From what i have been reading they dont seem to bother coral much.

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the same question and was wondering about a stars and stripes puffer?

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your puffers are gonna go after your clams and crabs and will nibble on your live rock which may wreck some corals. they do this to keep there beaks trimmed

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one tear up my polyps, chalice and killed two smaller fish. After two days of having him, back he went to lfs.

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes puffers also are known tail nibblers they will chew on your stony corals and are best kept to a fowlr tank

OP
OP
strange33w

strange33w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well after alot of reading I decided to give this a try so my porcupine has been in the tank for a week now with no issue so far. Granted I only have a few zoathids and one med frogspawn but he hasnt gone near them or for that matter any snails either. Thought those would have got destroyed. Well only time will tell now wil keep updating this as time goes on.

Degener8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck with this. I had one years ago with no issues. Recently I lost every fish I had except for a severely beatup Yellow tang due to a burr fish which is very similar to the PP. I wish you the best.. my luck has not been so good recently.

OP
OP
strange33w

strange33w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well my puffer has been in the tank for a little over a week now and so far has been a model citizen. He is eating well on a mix of squid, clam , and krill. So far he has not nibbled at any of my coral even the zoanthids right outside his hang out. So so far so good hope it will continue.

Last edited:

drjill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering too. I just put my small (3-4 ")PP into a reef only tank. He has stopped to check out the snails but did not bite them yet and hasn't bothered any corals... yet. This is just a test. I don't think he'll be staying in this tank for long. we'll see.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 41.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back