Porcupine Puffer Not Eating

Munch21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a 1,000 litre tank, fish only with live rock which has been established over the last 7 yrs. We got a Porcupine Puffer 6 months ago who has done well and grown a lot…(from about 3 to 4 inches in length) he seemed happy, like a little puppy, and has been fed mainly on raw prawns…we have offered squid, mussels (in and out of the shell), and live food (small shrimps) and small snails, but he only ever eats the prawns. Over the last day he’s gone really quiet and is sitting on the bottom of the tank ( very out of character) and hasn’t eaten for 3 days…I’m so worried about him. Everyone else in the tank is fine, there aren’t issues with the water or anything…and everything seems fine…don’t know what to do?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a 1,000 litre tank, fish only with live rock which has been established over the last 7 yrs. We got a Porcupine Puffer 6 months ago who has done well and grown a lot…(from about 3 to 4 inches in length) he seemed happy, like a little puppy, and has been fed mainly on raw prawns…we have offered squid, mussels (in and out of the shell), and live food (small shrimps) and small snails, but he only ever eats the prawns. Over the last day he’s gone really quiet and is sitting on the bottom of the tank ( very out of character) and hasn’t eaten for 3 days…I’m so worried about him. Everyone else in the tank is fine, there aren’t issues with the water or anything…and everything seems fine…don’t know what to do?
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Would any symptoms show up in a video?
Is the puffer breathing fast/hard?
Are it’s teeth overgrown?

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Munch21

Munch21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, I hope not! Here’s a video…nothing to see except him sitting under a rock at the front which is unlike him…he would normally be buried away at the back during the day.

Attachments

• IMG_4173.MOV
    51.5 MB
  • IMG_4173.MOV
    51.5 MB
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Munch21

Munch21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep trying to load videos but can’t for some reason!? He is just really lethargic…we think his beak/teeth are fine…he looks normal but isn’t behaving normally

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Munch21

Munch21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, I hope not! Here’s a video…nothing to see except him sitting under a rock at the front which is unlike him…he would normally be buried away at the back during the day.
I’m desperate to help him! Breaking my heart at the moment!

Upvote 0

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it easiest to upload videos to YouTube then link them. Was he eating completely normal then stopped suddenly? Puffers can get lockjaw I believe from a nutrient defiency. Common when fed only Krill. He should be able to go a while without food. So three days is not a huge deal. But if he’s sick that’s another story. Porcupines teeth don’t seem to grow as fast as dog face puffers and I think you’d know if they are overgrown. Hopefully you can get some pics or vids so we can see what’s going on.

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When this comes up - to me more answers are important:

1 Any stressors in the tank
2. Any new additions?
3. Any bullying/
4. Was anything otherwise changed. IME - when a fish going from being 'great' - to 'bad'. either its something bad with the fish - to bad because something that happened. Unforunatly only you can answer these questions - could you have fed it food with bacteria (EDIT. Food with contamination with bacteria)-etc etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back