Porcupine Puffer Skin / Mouth Issue - Repost with Updated / Tank Information

retroreef2710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highlighted below but it looks like part of his skin is burned off if that makes sense.

I was away for vacation for over a week, and had someone feed and do a water change, and came back and it looks like our puffer fish is having this skin issue, he also looks like he has Brooklynella around his mouth and refused to eat last night for the first time in awhile. Anyone know what this might be? Also, do you think this will grow back and heal? I am thinking maybe a parasite? I am not sure.

All of the parameters of the water are good (Posted below). There are corals and all other fish look great. Use RODI water and everything.

Nitrate - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
PH - 7.8 (A little low I know, just the water in this area but after having tanks for multiple years it has never been an issue)
Salinity - 1.024
Calcium - 478
Magnesium - 1360
dkh - 7.1

Aquarium Size is 75 Gallons with a canister filter (upgrading this boy to a refugium soon as well as the tank size to atleast 250g :) ), owned the tank and has been running for 15. - 2 years with little to no serious issues. Water change it consistently with top offs more frequently now that the weather is getting warmer here.

Lastly, I did just notice he does like a little shake and then swims super fast across the tank... which he didn't before, like he has something on him he is trying to get off.

Inkedunnamed_LI.jpg unnamed (1).jpg unnamed.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
An answer(s) was posted this morning. Please refrain from cross posting as it only send many versions of answers and confuses others if same or different fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish is it in with?
What invertebrates are in the tank?
How long have you had the puffer?
Can you post a short video?

Jay

OP
OP
R

retroreef2710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An answer(s) was posted this morning. Please refrain from cross posting as it only send many versions of answers and confuses others if same or different fish
I did not see an answer and both people asked for more information. It is not a double post.

OP
OP
R

retroreef2710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish is it in with?
What invertebrates are in the tank?
How long have you had the puffer?
Can you post a short video?

Jay
Just a snowflake eel. There are 3 corals in there. The tank does not have much in it to be honest as this guy keeps growing. Waiting to put more in after I upgrade the tank size / filtration system.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I did not see an answer and both people asked for more information. It is not a double post.
Was sent at 11:40a central time. See below

Porcupine Puffer Fish Skin Issue

Skin erosion and likely bacterial. Best treatment would be Kanaplex by seachem Spiney box and porcupine puffers are one of the more sensitive to water quality that I’ve seen What is your ammonia and nitrate level and what test kits are you using? What is age of tank?

• Post #2
  • Today at 11:41 AM
  • Forum:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a snowflake eel. There are 3 corals in there. The tank does not have much in it to be honest as this guy keeps growing. Waiting to put more in after I upgrade the tank size / filtration system.
Well, as @vetteguy53081 said, this is likely bacterial. These fish also get overgrown teeth that stops them from feeding normally, but I can’t see clearly if that could be the case here.
Jay

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding him? Is he trying to eat or just turning away from good?

Puffer, snowflake and canister filter and zero nitrates?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 50.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 62 54.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.0%
Back