Porcupine pufferfish with cloudy fins

JeffC27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My porcupine pufferfish has a cloudy patch on her right fin and seems to have a bit of a torn tail. I just noticed today after watching her eat. She was breathing a little heavy after feeding but she seems to do that sometimes. I have also only ever seen her puff up on a few occasions but saw her puffed up about a week ago. She seems a little pale and is hanging out near the top of tank which is very uncommon for her. I don’t know what could be going on but in the same tank I recently lost my blue throat trigger and my niger trigger. I am unsure of the cause of my blue throat trigger as he started swimming only backwards and had a little goo come from his eye and then died suddenly. My niger trigger was breathing very heavy and was moved to qt where he started swimming upside down and then died ( I attempted to treat with Maracyn ). Now I’m starting to think I may have a bacterial problem in the tank since my puffer is showing this cloudy fin which I think could be fin rot. I also just recently added a small panther grouper about a week ago that was qt for 30 days. He is acting fine. Both are eating well. The porcupine, panther, and snowflake eel are the only ones in the 150 gallon right now. Tank has been running for about 15 months.
pH -
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 15ppm
Salinity - 1.024
Temperature - 79F

medication I currently have available for treatment are

metroplex + focus
Maracyn Oxy
Copper power
Melafix
Parasite remedy
Ich-X

I am open to new medications, anything to save my puffer.
she was my first fish and I have had her since day 1.

5F555E52-6F6E-4FEF-A08C-AF7D51DB2DF1.png ED0B5BCB-8799-4E92-82FD-0A5633BF310F.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0007.MOV
    8.3 MB

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is likely water quality related and may be lympho.
What is your ammonia-nitrate-ph-salinity?
What foods are you feeding?

Puffers are not good housekeepers and elevated readings may occasionally occur.

OP
OP
J

JeffC27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed all my predator fish on a daily rotation so it is either silversides or scallops with the occasional clam and then Mysis with spirulina daily

OP
OP
J

JeffC27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is likely water quality related and may be lympho.
What is your ammonia-nitrate-ph-salinity?
What foods are you feeding?

Puffers are not good housekeepers and elevated readings may occasionally occur.
I just finished retesting. The ph seemed to have dropped a little but it’s hard to say cause it’s in between 2 colors about but it’s around 7.8 - 7.6 range which is low usually it’s 7.8 - 8 and I’m not sure what could have dropped it as I haven’t changed anything but add the grouper and there was a fish death 2 days ago… my blue throat trigger which died unexpectedly after swimming backwards.
nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 10-20 ppm
Salinity 1.024
Temperature 79F

OP
OP
J

JeffC27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something seems to be going on with water quality but every test I do doesn’t show a major problem. There is this weird green algae growing on the glass that won’t come off it’s almost like I have to scrap it off with a razor blade to get it off is that a sign of bad water

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished retesting. The ph seemed to have dropped a little but it’s hard to say cause it’s in between 2 colors about but it’s around 7.8 - 7.6 range which is low usually it’s 7.8 - 8 and I’m not sure what could have dropped it as I haven’t changed anything but add the grouper and there was a fish death 2 days ago… my blue throat trigger which died unexpectedly after swimming backwards.
nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 10-20 ppm
Salinity 1.024
Temperature 79F
Make sure the pH isn’t depressed due to high carbon dioxide - make sure the tank has good aeration.
I’m worried that the trigger death is related to this issue.
Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Make sure the pH isn’t depressed due to high carbon dioxide - make sure the tank has good aeration.
Jay
That was my thought. Seems losses were quick

OP
OP
J

JeffC27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there is enough areation. The tank is not drilled but I have 2 aquaclear 110 hob filters a sicce whale 350 canister filter and a Hob reef octopus protein skimmer. I had a current pump too but it burnt out about a week ago. I also just recently installed a ato on the tank with a 10 gal freshwater reservoir. The blue throat also had some white goo on its eye before dying. Both trigger fish died quick and with mixed symptoms. My tests lately have seemed to be normal. I could go out tomorrow and get a new current pump or add a air stone tonight. I understand my water may be causing the issues but is there any suggestions on what to do with the puffer. It looks like a couple small holes on her fin with white mucas around them but I’m unsure. I put the lights on the tank on night mode about 10 minutes ago and she’s settled back towards the bottom like normal so I believe she was near the top due to stimulation and wanting more food. She ate very well. She was pale and breathing slightly heavy after eating but her color has returned since and she is breathing more at a normal pace.
I also currently have a 210 gallon drilled on order with a delivery and installation set for July.

OP
OP
J

JeffC27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
I believe there is enough aeration. The tank is unfortunately not drilled. I have a custom 210 drilled on order for July. There are 2 aquaclear 110 and a sicce whale canister filter
That was my thought. Seems losses were quick
i just added air stone

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I believe there is enough aeration. The tank is unfortunately not drilled. I have a custom 210 drilled on order for July. There are 2 aquaclear 110 and a sicce whale canister filter

i just added air stone
LAck of filtration likely part of the issue
You have mechanical filtration with little to no chemical and biological filtration
For now you will need to test more frequently as well as more water changes

Back