point of sale Sump, the hard way...

tzsetzse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to build an acrylic sump for some time but haven't had the $ to buy a whole sheet, (4x8).

A buddy told me he had a piece from an old display he had built years ago for some convention center. So, I drove over and picked up a 4x5 piece of 1/4" that had been "framed" with 3/8" square along one side. BTW....it was warped from leaning up against his basement wall for several years, lol

Anyway, after making the initial rough cuts on a table saw, my buddy tutored me in the use of a hand router and how to square up all my off-square cuts, lol. We got everything smoothed out and glued up. I didn't realize how that warp was going to impact my baffle installations....

So, I collected a mess of acrylic shavings from the router and proceeded to "seal" all the inside glue seams. It looks like crap but, well...here's a quick shot showing my very first attempt at a sump! :angel:

PA220092.jpg

Last edited:

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it holds water and has space for your stuff it's perfect! Lol. Good work.

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL!!! A+ for effort. The scraps do provide more reinforcment if you want to look at it from another angle rather then be weldon only.

mikey_p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it works then who cares what it looks like if it was mine and i didnt like what it looked like i would paint some of it or do something to it lol

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its full of water and holds it tight...use it! You are most likely going to hide it under the stand and not have a display sump, so who cares.

Good job on building your own!

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd A+ for effort and after working with acrylic, I'm with the others and say use it! Use it with the pride that you built it! That is an accomplishment in itself!

Just improve on your design for the next revision! Use this one as a template(like beta your design) and update your drawings or thoughts based on what you find you need.

Seriously, nice work!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back