Positioning Zoas

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting out and got some zoanthids to start - they are really small at the moment. I have 5 heads on a frag disc and they are still very small at the moment - ie. 5mm or so in diameter. Question is if I glue the ceramic disc on a base rock that's small, what happens to the zoas when they grow larger - that is if there's not enough rock and there's more Zoa. Also, can they branch out and attach to the substrate?

Thanks

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting out and got some zoanthids to start - they are really small at the moment. I have 5 heads on a frag disc and they are still very small at the moment - ie. 5mm or so in diameter. Question is if I glue the ceramic disc on a base rock that's small, what happens to the zoas when they grow larger - that is if there's not enough rock and there's more Zoa. Also, can they branch out and attach to the substrate?

Thanks
If you zoom in to the bottom left you will see how my zoas started on a rock, migrated across small patch of sand and began growing on the primary reef rocks now so plan accordingly.

Attachments

• 20221129_115720.jpg
    20221129_115720.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 104
OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you zoom in to the bottom left you will see how my zoas started on a rock, migrated across small patch of sand and began growing on the primary reef rocks now so plan accordingly.
NICE!! What all do you have in your tank - fantastic job. When you say 'migrated' exactly how do they achieve that? They don't attach to the substrate do they?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NICE!! What all do you have in your tank - fantastic job. When you say 'migrated' exactly how do they achieve that? They don't attach to the substrate do they?
Thank you, It's a full mixed reef with softs, LPS and SPS corals. I've been primarily focused on SPS last 4 or 5 months so there about 37 SPS corals in various stages of growth but I also have torches. Hammers, frogs, fox corals, leathers, acans, shrooms, elegance, etc...

Zoas are beautiful as fillers but you have to be careful or they really take over as I'm experiencing now. They are even attached to the back glass growing similar to what GSP does on glass which was surprising to me. I even find baby pollups attached to rocks clear on the other side of the tank so take your time and decide if you just want zoas on accent pieces of island or if you plan on them also growing on your primary rock scape. I have a love hate relationship with them now. Although some coral vendors have offered me decent store credit for some of the covered rocks. You can see in this pic, I have zoas everywhere now and the tank isn't even 2 years old.

20221129_115708.jpg

Last edited:

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have one type of Zoa they tend to compact and I’ve seen them spread to other parts of the tank!
The one thing I want to add since I learned the hard way, is Zoathids compete against each other. If you have different Zoas they will try to grow over each other. They can smother out a color, so if you want a Zoa garden make sure you have plenty of space for each type!

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Like your torches! Do they ever torch the neighboring corals?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Like your torches! Do they ever torch the neighboring corals?
The way they are positioned only the big green one on the left gets mean occasionally sending out the stinger primarily towards the big goni back left corner. They seem to leave ground level corals on the rocks alone. I grouped them close so they have their own little neighborhood touching each other and hopefully feel less threat from nearby corals.

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way they are positioned only the big green one on the left gets mean occasionally sending out the stinger primarily towards the big goni back left corner. They seem to leave ground level corals on the rocks alone. I grouped them close so they have their own little neighborhood touching each other and hopefully feel less threat from nearby corals.
It looks great! I noticed they were near some other corals but essentially have their own block on the street!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks great! I noticed they were near some other corals but essentially have their own block on the street!
They actually seem to have different personalities too. Most are chill with other corals it's just the green meanie that bites

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
Palythoa can. Zoanthids cannot. But it is very difficult without genetic testing to confirm whether something is a zoa or paly. But this should really be no concern because even if it can spread over sand... Just cut it lol. It's a coral not a dog.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palythoa can. Zoanthids cannot. But it is very difficult without genetic testing to confirm whether something is a zoa or paly. But this should really be no concern because even if it can spread over sand... Just cut it lol. It's a coral not a dog.
How much can you prune back before toxins in the water column might be a concern?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Lavey29, gorgeous tank!

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much can you prune back before toxins in the water column might be a concern?
No idea. Each strain has a different level of palytoxin, and if I recall from julian sprung's talk it's actually rare for there to be much at all outside a few known strains.

edit: if I suspected it were toxic I'd honestly avoid putting it in at all. It's a time bomb.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea. Each strain has a different level of palytoxin, and if I recall from julian sprung's talk it's actually rare for there to be much at all outside a few known strains.

edit: if I suspected it were toxic I'd honestly avoid putting it in at all. It's a time bomb.
Oh I know only a few types of palys are considered toxic but I thought zoas in general had some low level toxins inside kind of like leathers do and was wondering if I prune a bunch back would it irritate other corals like SPS?

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I know only a few types of palys are considered toxic but I thought zoas in general had some low level toxins inside kind of like leathers do and was wondering if I prune a bunch back would it irritate other corals like SPS?
IDK but I have never had any issues pruning either zoas or leathers with sps right next to them. If concerned maybe don't go to town all in one day.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back