Poss

reeferdude0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this clown about a week ago. He’s been in the bottom corner of the tank for the last few days. He hasn’t eaten not once since I got him. I originally thought it was him adjusting.

I’m thinking he might have flukes. His breathing is getting heavier and heavier. I just added prazipro last night. This morning he’s still breathing heavy. Should I do a freshwater dip? I’m afraid If I do that, it might cause more stress and he will die.

What’s your thoughts? Should I do it or let the prazipro work? I just think he’s weak from not eating.

Thanks!

BC323642-017C-45D5-9CDB-F928AF3D6E69.jpeg

OP
OP
reeferdude0912

reeferdude0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally for me if a clownfish isn't eating they usually have some internal or external issue are you treating the fish with anything in QT?
Yes with Metroplex and just added prazipro yesterday. He’s in one corner breathing really rapid. Hasn’t moved on hours. A little pink around the gills. He hasn’t eaten since he got home, which is about 7-8 days ago. I’m trying to see if i should do a FWD or not. I’m afraid it might be too much streets, but I’d he survives, he might feel some relief. Not sure what to do.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s unlikely that a tank raised clown would have flukes, and those are slow to kill and don’t cause a fish not to eat until the very end- something else is going on here. What are your water quality values? Are the other fish eating well? Is the clown breathing fast/heavy? Maybe the fish was in poor shape when you got it?
Jay

OP
OP
reeferdude0912

reeferdude0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s unlikely that a tank raised clown would have flukes, and those are slow to kill and don’t cause a fish not to eat until the very end- something else is going on here. What are your water quality values? Are the other fish eating well? Is the clown breathing fast/heavy? Maybe the fish was in poor shape when you got it?
Jay
My water is fine as of a little earlier. I have a 6line Wrass & a sand shifting goby. They’re completely fine & eating well. The clown started off great for the first 3-4 days. Today is day 8. He’s been breathing very rapidly and hasn’t eaten. I have Pvc pipe for all of them to hide in. Not sure what’s going on. My best guess it has to be flukes. I ruled out most. I’ll see how he’s doing tomorrow.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water is fine as of a little earlier. I have a 6line Wrass & a sand shifting goby. They’re completely fine & eating well. The clown started off great for the first 3-4 days. Today is day 8. He’s been breathing very rapidly and hasn’t eaten. I have Pvc pipe for all of them to hide in. Not sure what’s going on. My best guess it has to be flukes. I ruled out most. I’ll see how he’s doing tomorrow.
Oh, I thought I read that the clown hadn't eaten for you since you got him. If that was the case, I would suspect it was just in poor condition when you got it. If it did eat for you at the start, and then that has stopped, that indicates more of an issue with your tank.

Prazi takes a day or so to work, and then, it takes a few days for the fish to recover from the damage caused by the flukes. This could be some bacterial gill disease - the pink color you noted, the rapid breathing could point to that. It could also be a protozoan parasite, except that would affect your goby and wrasse in most instances.

Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back