Possible 55 gallon stocking?

ImNewAtThis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If eventually like to add 1-2 corals and a BTA. But that’s closer to 6 months or a year down the road. Right now I’d like help with stocking. I have a 55 gallon with live rock, live sand, and I’m 100% cycled. It’s been up almost two months. I have a 20 gallon sump. Here is my possible stocking list: opinions? Changes? This is not the order I would add, I’d add peaceful to aggressive.
1CF8A4E1-AC2A-48AE-964D-DDBD5D02FA01.png

Last edited:

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good list! Keep in mind though that the Coral Beauty isn’t always reef safe for corals. So you may have to be prepared to pull him out, depending on what happens.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice list! I agree making a stocking list is half the battle I commend you for doing this even in the first place. By not rushing and thinking out your stock it can help when introducing the fish / what you can keep invert/coral wise.

Mind the coral beauty isnt always reef safe.. it goes from case to case though! I have a pygmy angel that I do my best to keep well fed so that he/she is not tempted to pick at any of my corals!

OP
OP
ImNewAtThis

ImNewAtThis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine, though the coral beauty might pick at the soft/lps coral you have written down.
The coral beauty wasn’t my first option, so I wouldn’t mind switching her out with something else or removing it completely. Any suggestions? Thank you

OP
OP
ImNewAtThis

ImNewAtThis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice list! I agree making a stocking list is half the battle I commend you for doing this even in the first place. By not rushing and thinking out your stock it can help when introducing the fish / what you can keep invert/coral wise.

Mind the coral beauty isnt always reef safe.. it goes from case to case though! I have a pygmy angel that I do my best to keep well fed so that he/she is not tempted to pick at any of my corals!
The Pygmys are awesome too! I wanted some color deviations apart from reds and yellows lol but thank you! I figured I’d need a list so I knew what to stock first and so I knew their care needs

OP
OP
ImNewAtThis

ImNewAtThis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I think I’ll be switching that out with something else just to be safe. Coral Beauty wasn’t a must have, so no hard feelings lol

Looks like a good list! Keep in mind though that the Coral Beauty isn’t always reef safe for corals. So you may have to be prepared to pull him out, depending on what happens.
[/QUOTE

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral beauty wasn’t my first option, so I wouldn’t mind switching her out with something else or removing it completely. Any suggestions? Thank you

You could try one if you’re okay with trying to catch it and replace it should it have a taste for coral. Otherwise, the Pygmy cherub angel is likely less inclined to nip coral. If you want more blue in the tank, you could try a pair of neon blue gobies.

I’d consider a flasher over a fairy wrasse for a 55, but make sure you have a screen top or some kind of lid because they can jump out.

OP
OP
ImNewAtThis

ImNewAtThis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great, I’ll do a flasher wrasse as opposed to fairy. Thank you for your help, it’s much appreciated
You could try one if you’re okay with trying to catch it and replace it should it have a taste for coral. Otherwise, the Pygmy cherub angel is likely less inclined to nip coral. If you want more blue in the tank, you could try a pair of neon blue gobies.

I’d consider a flasher over a fairy wrasse for a 55, but make sure you have a screen top or some kind of lid because they can jump out.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas blennies can be aggressive to flasher/fairy's and firefish if this hasn't already been mentioned. I could not keep one with a McCosker or a firefish in a similar sized tank. Once it settled in all planktivores were on its hate list. Live Aquaria mentions this on their description as well.

OP
OP
ImNewAtThis

ImNewAtThis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas blennies can be aggressive to flasher/fairy's and firefish if this hasn't already been mentioned. I could not keep one with a McCosker or a firefish in a similar sized tank. Once it settled in all planktivores were on its hate list. Live Aquaria mentions this on their description as well.
That’s good to know. It’s so difficult to keep up with who can be aggressive towards who. Would a lawnmower blenny be any different?

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good to know. It’s so difficult to keep up with who can be aggressive towards who. Would a lawnmower blenny be any different?

Yes, afaik they’re quite a different temperament, but I wouldn’t get a lawnmower blenny until your rocks are growing some algae for them to graze on. I’ve been cautioned that they are sometimes difficult to get into prepared diets in the aquarium. If you order a quarantined, pre-conditioned specimen from somewhere like quarantinedfish.us, Divers Den, or Marine Collectors, you’ll probably have a better experience than with a newly collected blenny.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back