Possible accessory for the Hybrid Lights?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rbarr110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the higher summer temps, I am dealing with warmer than normal tank water temps. Fans about the size of a G15 light that could be mounted to the hybrid fixture would be awesome! In my searches I have found nothing that would work. Thinking of getting a couple of large 200mm PC fans and make an acrylic mount compatible with the metal bars used to mount the LED lights.

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Thoughts on a fan that would mount to the Kessil bracket without the tabs?

Multiples on one power supply or an option for more than one fan per power supply?

OP
OP
R

rbarr110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on a fan that would mount to the Kessil bracket without the tabs?

Multiples on one power supply or an option for more than one fan per power supply?
I can't think of any fan that would work without some modification.

I was thinking of getting a small 12V power supply that can be plugged into my Apex for fan on/off at certain temps. Then use a potentiometer on the 12V output to a couple of 200 mm computer fans wired in series to manually adjust fan speed.
Using a square section of acrylic with center cut out for fan to mount the fan to the acrylic and then attach acrylic to the extra metal brackets used to mount the XR15's to the hybrid.

AS far as Kessil mounts, a 100mm fan would fit, but small fans like that don't move alot of air without alot of noise.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these on mine: *This forum is butchering amazon links right now, so here is the BSIN: B009P0R6VC

coolingfan_1
by Kyl, on Flickr

And on my 24" that has no room in the profile, I've side mounted them with zip ties until I can get a bracket fabricated:

fan_bracket_2
by Kyl, on Flickr

If there was an easier option accessory I probably would have bought it.

fragfans.jpg

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Thank you both. Never really considered fans but now I will take a look.

Preferred install would be top mount with LED, second would be side profile like Kyl.

Fan size 120mm or larger?

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larger typically allows for more CFM or lower RPM, but there are size profiles that tend to be easier to source, or much cheaper to source, than others. I doubt there is much in the way that will surpass the price / performance of what the 120mm profile can offer.

I went with the AC ones as the housing is aluminum, they can be wired in series, have a dial adjustment and there is no transformer in play, they're 120v ac. Yes, louder than something like a noctua or GT from the PC watercooling world, butit works.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these on mine. They fit well and are plug and play and are very quiet. Search Amazon for:

AC Infinity AXIAL 1225, Quiet Muffin Fan, 115V 120V AC 120mm x 25mm Low Speed, for DIY Cooling Ventilation Exhaust Projects

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these on mine. They fit well and are plug and play and are very quiet. Search Amazon for:

AC Infinity AXIAL 1225, Quiet Muffin Fan, 115V 120V AC 120mm x 25mm Low Speed, for DIY Cooling Ventilation Exhaust Projects
Yep that's the ones I use, just can't post the amazon link here since the forum seems to be trying to hi-jack the link for referral and it doesn't display anything instead.

Lor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it. if the fans can swivel lef to right would it make a difference as far as agitating more surface area?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 97 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back