Possible Bacteria infection Help me save my Bicolor Angel

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 1100 gallon tank and was concerned because I have not seen my Bicolor Angel in a couple days. Today when I got home fro work he was swimming near the surface but not looking right. I easily caught him and moved him to my 40 Gal. emergency tank. He has red around the lips seams to have slightly labored breathing and some redness around the gills and face. He also has these pieces that are dark hanging below the gills that appear to be coming out of th egills.
Water
Salt 1.024
Temp 78.5
PH 8.21
I can check other parameters but first wanted to get ideas to hopefully save this guy hes looking very weak.

Last picture is what I have currently to use for treatment
IMG_4103.JPG

IMG_4105.JPG

IMG_4106.JPG
IMG_4109.JPG

Please help
@Jay Hemdal

IMG_4103.JPG

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the other fish in the tank? When was the last fish you added to the tank, and was it quarantined? Have you considered giving the bicolor a FW dip? It is unlikely that it is a primary bacterial infection. It could be a secondary infection, from some sort of injury.

Jay

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the other fish in the tank? When was the last fish you added to the tank, and was it quarantined? Have you considered giving the bicolor a FW dip? It is unlikely that it is a primary bacterial infection. It could be a secondary infection, from some sort of injury.

Jay
Jay Thank you for the quick responce.
I have quarantined all fish with the Copper and Prazi Power. All other fish look good and are eating like pigs. I have not done any treatment at all as I was just not sure where to start.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a Yellow tang that had been harassing this fish but over the last couple weeks that seams to have stopped. Could be injured by Yellow Tang?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a Yellow tang that had been harassing this fish but over the last couple weeks that seams to have stopped. Could be injured by Yellow Tang?
Possibly, but it looks too generalized to be an injury from another fish - more like it ran into something in the tank. Do you have any antibiotics in your arsenal of medications?

Jay

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly, but it looks too generalized to be an injury from another fish - more like it ran into something in the tank. Do you have any antibiotics in your arsenal of medications?

Jay
Only have Focus, Metroplex, General Cure, Copper Power, Prazi power and Ruby Rally Pro

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only have Focus, Metroplex, General Cure, Copper Power, Prazi power and Ruby Rally Pro
Well, I don’t have a definite direction to go here, but I’m leaning towards a bacterial issue. A broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic dosed in a treatment tank might be one course of action; furan-2, Neoplex or Maracyn 2.
Jay

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back