Possible bacterial bloom

Dan Friday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I clear up a bacterial bloom?
Tank is about 5 months old with some snails and a golden moray ,no coral yet.
Parameters are :
Nitrate 5-10
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
PH 7.8-8.3
Had a diatom bloom 2-weeks ago did a 32gal water change (total system is 165gal.)and used a turkey Baseter on all live rock(Tonga branch)No more diatom/algae .Tank has been very cloudy since , looks almost like sand in water however it’s a bare bottom tank .
Filtration consist of :
Skimmer -Reef Octopus 202
3-4x8 Marin pure blocks
ROX 0.8 carbon
20% weekly water changes
( plan on running a chaeto reactor soon)
Anyone know how to fix this ?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IIRC, the best thing is just to wait those out - the bacteria will use up whatever nutrient they're working with, and fade away pretty naturally. (I had one last summer, when my current tank was new - it faded within a few weeks, but was immediately followed by a phytoplankton "green water" bloom.)

The other option might be to hook up a U.V. filter, which is what I wound up doing for the phytoplankton.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Dan Friday

Dan Friday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IIRC, the best thing is just to wait those out - the bacteria will use up whatever nutrient they're working with, and fade away pretty naturally. (I had one last summer, when my current tank was new - it faded within a few weeks, but was immediately followed by a phytoplankton "green water" bloom.)

The other option might be to hook up a U.V. filter, which is what I wound up doing for the phytoplankton.

~Bruce

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing is to wait it out. Fighting short term problem with chemical is not a good idea.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had one as well. Tank was only 12 days old with 3 months cured live rock. Have 3 fish and a few corals. Let it run its course. Took about 4 days and it cleared on its own. Bothersome and unsettling but be patient, it will clear.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run filter socks to help remove it. Change them every day or two. Either that, or skim wet.

Back